How Much of the WT Teaching Did You Believe?

by Ding 52 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• RolRod
    RolRod

Well if it's Biblical, then I believe it. If it's not, then I discard it.

• Lost in the fog
    Lost in the fog

As a multi-generational born in, I probably accepted it all as it was presented. As I matured I served as an MS and in time an elder, having the "privilege" of giving talks at District conventions.

However I had a few personal niggles which I couldn't discuss with anyone inside the KH. I loved doing personal research in other Bibles, commentaries, and church history books - in fact, I still do!

The crunch came when I had to give two different talks on the book of Hebrews. I had never swallowed the idea that Jesus = Michael the Archangel. And trying to prepare a talk where in Hebrews 1, the writer (the JWs insist it was Paul) goes to great lengths to show that Jesus is NOT an angel/archangel made that impossible to my way of thinking.

The 2nd talk was about faith in Hebrews 11. The JWs teach that Abraham and all the other faithful men of old were waiting for God's heavenly kingdom to rule over the earth - the place they would be resurrected to.

Except that Hebrews 11:6 certainly does NOT say it.

In the end I got up and parrotted off the official lines but stopped giving talks, for health reasons, shortly afterwards.

Once the blinkers come off it does not take long to get used to the light of the world.

• Lost in the fog
    Lost in the fog

Regarding my comment above, that should have been Hebrews 11:16.

Only spotted my mistake.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit