Why do Americans have to pay so much for College???

by RubaDub 62 Replies latest jw friends

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

" if you think education is expensive wait til you see the cost of ignorance "

In part the u iversities are greedy and in part are scamming students

I support my taxes paying for public school, even with no students in my home. I want that dental tech, or even McD guy to have decent diction, manners, language knowledge, and to know their field.

There should be a construct more than is offered for college credit in high school, and a better vocational counciling. If you want to be a nurse you need the biology, chemistry, Latin; different than someone on a engineering path.

My state has at least 2 schools that rank in the same esteem as Hahvahd, Caltech, and the like. The students I have known ranked from genuine geniuses to snot nose twits.

• hoser
    hoser

University should pay for itself or you are in the wrong field.

It is an investment in increased future earnings. I see student debt as taking on debt for any other asset. It should realize a return or it is a piss poor investment.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

University should pay for itself or you are in the wrong field.

hoser ....

Should middle school and high school pay for itself?

Rub a Dub

• Simon
    Simon

This is a fascinating chart.

Just think which things the government does most meddling in, and which it does the least meddling in.

https://howmuch.net/articles/price-changes-in-usa-in-past-20-years

• hoser
    hoser

Interesting comment rub a dub.

The taxpayer pays for basic education to grade 12 here in Canada. My parents and their neighbours paid for my education by paying their property taxes.

A society needs people who can read, write and rithmatic.

Whatever schooling you do after that is your own business. You should take a loan, finance it by planting trees in the summer, or your parents or sugar daddy/momma can pay. You should make more money with a degree than high school and easily be able to pay for the extra school. If not do something else.

edited to add.

I agree with simons chart. The government should stay out of business. They seem to be good at creating false incentives.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

This is a fascinating chart. Just think which things the government does most meddling in, and which it does the least meddling in.

Simon, I agree.

But everything that appears to be "more affordable" or below the zero line is made off-shore, or more likely, China.

I don't think I would send my kid to China to save money on college books and tuition.

Rub a Dub

• hoser
    hoser

If the Chinese offered an equivalent education for a lower overall price why wouldn’t you send your kid there? They should be rewarded for their efficiencies.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

A society needs people who can read, write and rithmatic. Whatever schooling you do after that is your own business.

Hoser ...

But as you say, "whatever schooling you do after that is your own business" has changed over time.

My father graduated from 8th grade and it was considered (back in 1936 or something) like an educational achievement. Today, having a high school diploma is like having, in some businesses, as having a roll of toilet paper.

You will need some trade school work or a bachelor's degree in something relevant (forget liberal arts, a degree in English, History or Poop that may get you an assistant manager's job at McDonalds or Taco Bell).

Rub a Dub

• littlerockguy
    littlerockguy

StilltotallyADD,

I'm sorry I didn't mean to sound so crass earlier. I do know what you mean regarding religion and education. However some of the most high ranking prestigious schools are religious in origin that do teach real science and critical thinking skills as well as theology and religious studies. If I had children I would send them to a private school that had high academic scores or home school them before sending them to a public school.

BTW I've been on this board for 15 years but thanks for the welcome!

• hoser
    hoser

Is part of the problem the social prestige connected with having a fancy university degree? Does that drive up the cost? Do universities charge what the market will bear?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit