Why do Americans have to pay so much for College???

by RubaDub 62 Replies latest jw friends

• Spiral
    Spiral

MrMustand, I just mean that people should be able to access education that interests and benefits them without having to justify it, or pay a big chunk of change.

If someone wants to study literature or poetry or one of the sciences for their own interest, they should be able to without a huge cost.

Perhaps the world would be just a bit better if people could study the things they want to study. And continue to study throughout their life.

• nowwhat?
    nowwhat?

As high as tuition is if the govt. Starts covering it you'll see the college's doubling and tripling tuitions. And then the system will go bankrupt

• Spiral
    Spiral

@nowwhat? That's the other problem! High tuitions and profit - where does it end?

• RULES & REGULATIONS
    RULES & REGULATIONS
    Kids are taught that the only path to success is a college education, and regrettably, college is really not for all people. The flood of money creates a bubble, costs rise, and quality falls as all the <insert bull shit word>-studies programs are created.

Employers are at fault for the insane college costs. They drive most high school kids to go to college to get a degree, even if they are meant for a manual or vocational training. Colleges increase costs because there is a high demand for a college education. A piece of paper tells every employer what your wage will be and where you fit in the company. Unless you come out of college with a specialized field, you will compete with more job seekers than you thought.

I sent my 3 children to college. My total cost was over $200,000. I pay most of the loans by a home equity loan. The loan is a burden on my back. Yes, my 3 children all work full time jobs but for what they make per year, someone who is in the trades or has their own business makes more.

• Still Totally ADD
    Still Totally ADD

To begin with when this easy money loans for college began who didn't see this coming? With all this easy money greed set in. College cost started climbing and climbing to were what was once affordable or at lease manageable is now ridiculously high. High schools should also offer more vocational training in areas that are most needed in the job market. As a examle what use to be low wage jobs in construction are now good paying jobs and are in great demand. Private schools is not the answer because most are run by religious organizations or some upstart private organizations. Both put mind control teachings or are so greedy they screw everyone involved. Can't begin to tell you how many in our area got caught with their hand in the cookie jar and closed down.

The back bone for education in this country has always been public schools. Need to keep religion out of it! Those who are college bound, more power to them. Those who are not give them good vocational training were the jobs are. That's my thoughts anyway. Still Totally ADD

• MeanMrMustard
    MeanMrMustard
    MrMustand, I just mean that people should be able to access education that interests and benefits them without having to justify it, or pay a big chunk of change.

There are reasons for them paying “a big chunk of change.” Those reasons usually start when people think of university education as a right.

If someone wants to study literature or poetry or one of the sciences for their own interest, they should be able to without a huge cost.

They can. It’s called the internet.

Perhaps the world would be just a bit better if people could study the things they want to study. And continue to study throughout their life.

#Internet

• littlerockguy
    littlerockguy

StilltotallyADD

Religious organizations are what got the educational system going in the US. Do some research.

• hybridous
    hybridous

Imagine for a moment that we deemed a Honda Civic essential for worldly success.

A Honda Civic was a necessarily implement for every 18 year-old, who set out to make their way thru the world.

A Honda Civic was just...so damn important...that nobody should have to go without one, so the government was obliged to absorb the cost, so everyone could have one...

You think perhaps Honda would find a way to make their list price climb a little over the ~27k, where it sits now?

• silentbuddha
    silentbuddha

Many americans foolishly go to out of state schools. Many are ashamed of community colleges so they spend thousands for no reason.

I have 3 degrees and I paid for them all while going or my place of work at the time paid them.

At this point kids should go to school for plumbing, electrical work, etc etc....

• Still Totally ADD
    Still Totally ADD

Littlerockguy that may be so but today alot of these religious organizations have very fundamental beliefs which keeps the kids from learning the world around them. Such as the earth is only 6000 years old. Also by the time I was in public school our text books didn't come from a faith organization. They even stop prayer when I was in grade school.

I don't know who you are but welcome to the forum and a simple reason on what I may be wrong on is sufficient. Using a sledgehammer statement of doing my homework is not necessary. This is a discussion not a death match debate. I will listen and like you I don't know everything. Take care. Still Totally ADD

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit