Mark Sanderson wears an Apple Watch at regional convention

by Edison Trent 46 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

Well,....... There is nothing wrong with an Apple watch, BUT....

If you are claiming to be part of the mythical, collective/singular, Channel of God, then aren't you supposed to be like..mmmmm...I don't know..JESUS!??!??

What principle might keep a "mature Xian" from wearing such an expensive item? Make no mistake, $700.00 USD is an absurd amount of money to spend on a watch.... a WATCH!! That's a car for a single Pioneer, or grocery money, or rent in a basement apartment.

WTF does a $700.00 watch do for the "Good News." What could $700.00 USD do for an African family, or poor South American family of loyal J-Dumbs?

I knew an old brother who had money, but when he purchased a car in his rual community, he purchased a Buick. Why? When he converted to what he believed to be the "one true religion", his neighbors were very interested. They all had a strong dislike for the hypocritical preachers in the area, who all drove Cadillacs. What would this new preacher do?

You may find it silly to buy a Buick, when there is nothing wrong with a Cadillac, but this old brother thought that the conscience of others was important. More important than a brand of car. As a "true xian", he did not want to stumble anyone.

You would think that the GB and their helpers ( future GB ) would go to great lengths to avoid resembling Christendom in any way, shape, or form? Tight pants are bad, but one of Jesus' brothers wearing a $700.00 watch is ok?

Based on the doctrine of the GB/Slave, I think he is showing very little concern for poor JWs. But what can we expect from the leaders of a Corporation, who have spent $136,000 USD in one month, to keep Pedo documents from the Superior Authorities?

If I was a GB member, out of concern for the poor, I would never, EVER, wear that watch on a big screen. If it was a gift, I would politely refuse it, explaining my reasons. Of course, there would be no Pedo issues within the WTBTS if I was a GB member. There would, however, be soup kitchens, which is why I will never be a GB member, and will likely be DF'd.

SHAME ON YOU, SANDERSON. SHAME ON YOU, WTBTS. SHAME ON JESUS' "BROTHERS."

DD

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

BTW, in the USA, flashy suits and rings, cuff-links and watches are on the rise. The Regional convention speakers are imitating their leaders.

Some of the bling was just insane, at least it was in my area. It's ridiculous.

DD

• Edison Trent
    Edison Trent

That Apple Watch for $700 alone is not a big deal, you are right. What I want to point out is: In a video at the same convention, this watch was used as a symbol of desire, something that jws should not pursue.

To have this watch is not bad at all. But, as DD said, to show it in front of such an audience is really hypocritical.

• ToesUp
    ToesUp

The amusing thing about it is, WT has no shame in being labeled a HYPOCRITE. If you research narcissist(s) you will see amazing similarities. A narcissist will never look at themselves as the problem and will never apologize for anything. NEVER!

• just fine
    just fine

I don't have a problem with expensive watches and jewelry.........but I don't go around telling a kids to give up their ice cream money.

I-pads are nearly required as JWs now and are quite expensive, my 70+year old parents both have them and have bought them as gifts for their grandchildren, and those aren't cheap either.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

I-Pad??? I can't afford one right now! If only I had went to Law School, but it was forbidden...😁

DD

• sparky1
    sparky1

Do you see any resemblance?

• konceptual99
    konceptual99

There are plenty of pioneers, elders and so on with smart phones, tablets, fit bits, Apple Watches etc. Sanderson is not unique in being a low income earner (supposedly) and having some more expensive tech. If he bought it then it's his business, he might even have got it at a discount as part of a mobile phone deal. If he was gifted it then more fool the donor. If it was paid for with donations as some kind of perk of his position then that would be more controversial.

I do agree that there are messages such as those raised by DD but I think it's a question of perspective. Far more hypocritical is the paying of $4000 a day to keep embarrassing documents away from the authorities. Far more hypocritical is the sale of billions of dollars worth of real estate whilst asking for ice cream money to build nice new homes in the US, UK, South Africa without doing anything for the real needs of suffering people on the ground.

Sure, another brother might have been counselled about a showy display of one's means of life and certainly, Sanderson might have shown some discretion but, given we don't have any idea how he came into the owning the watch, the danger is that the indignation can be seen as petty point scoring by those who think all apostates do is scrape around for silly points of contention when there are some really serious issues around how the WTS goes about it's commercial operations and charitable works.

• Saename
    Saename
    konceptual99 - Far more hypocritical is the paying of $4000 a day to keep embarrassing documents away from the authorities. Far more hypocritical is the sale of billions of dollars worth of real estate whilst asking for ice cream money to build nice new homes in the US, UK, South Africa without doing anything for the real needs of suffering people on the ground.

I agree.

konceptual99 - Sure, another brother might have been counciled about a showy display of one's means of lige and certainly, Sanderson might have shown some discretion but, given we don't have any idea how he came into the owning the watch, the danger is that the indignation can be seen as petty point scoring by those who think all apostates do is scrape around for silly points of contention when there are some really serious issues around how the WTS goes about it's commercial operations and charitable works.

You raised a valid point. I agree that it isn't so important when compared to other issues.

• sparky1
    sparky1

Jesus replied, "Foxes have dens and birds have nests, but the Son of Man has no place to lay his head." - Matthew 8:20 NIV

All the current members of the Governing Body (tm) have the following:

Nice apartments paid for by the rank and file Witnesses.

Three nutritious meals a day paid for by the rank and file Witnesses.

Free medical care paid for by the rank and file Witnesses.

Free transportation (automobiles for their use) paid for by the rank and file Witnesses.

Free trips anywhere on the planet (ostensibly to conduct GB business) paid for by the rank and file Witnesses.

Free laundry and housekeeping services paid for by the rank and file Witnesses.

No matter how he obtained the Apple watch, in my opinion, it is not necessary for him to have the watch for conducting Governing Body business. His tablet and smartphone can do more than that watch can and it is just 'window dressing'. If it was a gift, he could have donated it to the 'Worldwide Work'. After all, Caleb and Sophia don't have an Apple watch but are required to 'give up' their ice cream money to support the over bloated bureaucracy known as 'Jehovah's Earthly Organization'. If my opinion is viewed as being 'petty' than so be it. Remember, Jesus himself said, 'he that is faithful in little is faithful in much, he that is unfaithful in little is unfaithful in much.'

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit