Mark Sanderson wears an Apple Watch at regional convention

by Edison Trent 46 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Edison Trent
    Edison Trent

Last weekend was regional convention and Mark Sanderson was the bethel speaker for the last talks every day. His talks were video streamed from Zurich to other cities in Switzerland, Austria and Germany. One interesting point was that he wore an Apple Watch, Stainless Steel Edition (link). It looked like the one in the videos on Saturday mornings SYMPOSIUM: Do Not Imitate Disloyal Ones about Absalom. One could see the watch when he clapped.

Beside that, they said there were around 260 baptised persons and around 54000 visitors in all 9 locations. So round about 0.48% growth.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

1 John: 2:16 ". . . . because everything in the world--the desire of the flesh and the desire of the eyes and the showy display of one's means of life--does not originate with the Father, but originates with the world."

Way to go, Mark!

Doc

• blondie
    blondie

I would expect someone gave it to him and filed it as a tax write-off.

• Saename
    Saename

Who is he? Though a Witness, I've never heard of him.

• blondie
    blondie

Saename, he is the most recent jw appointed to the Governing Body....very young.

• fulano
    fulano

Now they cant wear a 700$ watch?? Jesus.

• konceptual99
    konceptual99
    Agree with you Fulano. If it was a $50k Rolex then perhaps it would merit some comment but an Apple Watch? Making a big deal over this pretty trivial stuff is what can undermine the far more serious criticisms that can be made about the GB and the WTS.
  • Saename
    Saename
    fulano - Now they cant wear a 700$ watch?? Jesus.

I think there was/were times when the Governing Body asked JWs to donate their own valuables, such as watches, necklaces, etc., which is why that could be considered a problem by some. Additionally, in many congregations, especially buying an Apple watch could be considered a sign of weak spirituality. I myself know JWs who would react in this way to seeing that somebody is saving money just to buy an Apple watch. Another problem is that Governing Body members live off donations as far as I know. There's no way telling what happens to that money―or even to the money that comes from sales of Kingdom Halls. On a further note, the Governing Body members always keep themselves occupied by telling JWs how imminent the end is. One could very well wonder, "Why does he have an Apple watch if the end is 'just around the corner'?"

• Saename
    Saename

Basically, what I'm trying to say is that if a 'normal' JW told the whole congregation that he or she is saving money for an Apple Watch, this JW would―and I have no doubt about that―have to meet with an elder or two to discuss his or her spirituality. Keep in mind one of the children's videos in which the Governing Body encouraged kids to donate instead of saving for ice creams―and we're talking about ice creams here...

• sir82
    sir82

Now they cant wear a 700$ watch?? Jesus.

It's definitely a mixed, confusing message to the less-bright JWs.

There are a lot of, um, "challenged" JWs who take every syllable uttered by the magnificent 7 as honey-dipped golden ambrosia coated with pixie dust. When the GB, thru broadcast, convention talks, and literature, rails against "materialism", harps on leading a "simple life", and condemns any effort at financial betterment as craven hedonism, they take it drop-dead seriously.

These JWs live in very humble circumstances - voluntarily. At times it approaches squalor. They revel in their poverty - it is a badge of honor. It is complete proof they are "putting the Kingdom first" - in exactly the manner the magnificent 7 say they should.

Then what happens? One of the mag 7, who "earns" $120 a month, who has signed a "vow of poverty", comes out and flashes his $700 watch. Some of these "simple" JWs can't afford a $7 pair of shoes from Goodwill.

It shows the utter disdain these guys have for their most loyal adherents, and is about as clear-cut an example of hypocrisy as you will find.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit