Taking The Knee 14 months after George Floyd's death

by LoveUniHateExams 22 Replies latest social current

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

I was having a conversation (I use the term loosely) on FaceBook about this matter. I asked the guy what did he expect taking the knee to achieve and he came up with something like,

'It has achieved much already - it has outed racists and that's a good thing, blah blah blah ... '

^^^ Translation: racist incidences have actually increased since taking the knee became popular, lol.

My point of view is this: I think taking the knee is a poor way to fight racism. It doesn't really achieve anything, save for dividing us based on skin colour, as Punk pointed out.

Sure, genuine racism should be fought, I'm with that. Those morons who racially abused Saka and Rashford on social media - give then lifetime bans, get the police involved, whatever.

I just get the idea that taking the knee is a waste of time.

If I was a black footballer I probably wouldn't do it. I wouldn't want to kneel before any ideology, whatever colour I am.

• riblah
    riblah

'What Killed Michael Brown' is a good documentary, if you haven't seen it.

• Simon
    Simon
    'What Killed Michael Brown' is a good documentary, if you haven't seen it.

Unless the conclusion is "Michael Brown", it's BS and I'll skip it.

• Simon
    Simon
    My point of view is this: I think taking the knee is a poor way to fight racism. It doesn't really achieve anything, save for dividing us based on skin colour, as Punk pointed out.

It is designed to increase racism, same as BLM - that is their goal.

The simple fact is that so many incidents of "racism" turn out to be faked - black people painting swastikas and slurs etc... it's clear that the incidents of genuine racism don't meet the demand for it.

The demand comes from those who want to be victims, because it's become a lucrative game.

• riblah
    riblah

It's totally not what you think, Simon - I know you would like it, from reading your posts.

• Simon
    Simon
    Sure, genuine racism should be fought, I'm with that. Those morons who racially abused Saka and Rashford on social media - give then lifetime bans, get the police involved, whatever.

They should publish all details of all incidents, not just selected ones to prove the problem, so we can see how many and what proportion are genuine incidents and how many are fake. Because I wouldn't be at all surprised if BLM types were some of those sending them. Often activism has a habit of making adherents become the perpetrators when they want to amplify the problem they face in a misguided way.

Also, what a stupid approach it all is. If you were being bullied as a kid, what is the one thing you wouldn't do? Let people know that something bothered you ...

When instead you publicly bemoan the mean words you show that it bothers you and then what are people going to use?

People use words to hurt, and will use whatever words they think hurt most, usually the most obvious. If they want to insult someone who's fat, they don't call them stupid, they reference the most obvious physical attribute that they are likely most sensitive about.

So announcing what insults you the most to the world ... what do people expect the response will be?

• Overrated
    Overrated

I signed a document and an oath that I would defend the constitution and fight enemies both near and far away. It didn't cover what color they would be, just Americans! White, Black, Yellow, whatever, Americans!

• Freemail
    Freemail

Farcical. What a poster boy for the white woke though.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

One issue I have with Taking The Knee is this: taking a knee or kneeling is a gesture that already has a meaning.

A man might go down on one knee (i.e. 'take a knee') to ask for his fiancee's hand in marriage. Why does he kneel? Well, it's obviously meant to convey the idea that the man values the life of his fiancee more than he does his own.

When Muslims pray they go down on both knees and bow so that their forehead touches the ground. Why? Obviously it's because they believe that the recipient of their prayers is infinitely higher than they are, so they literally make themselves as physically low as it's possible to be.

Whenever I see footage or photos of footballers taking the knee, I cannot help but think to myself, what are they kneeling before?

Had Colin Kaepernick just stood and raised his fist instead of kneeling, he could at least have linked his protest back to the 1968 Olympic games protest, etc. But using the gesture of kneeling as a form of protest against racial injustices or perceived racial injusticies just doesn't make sense to me.

I never saw Tommy Carlos, Muhammad Ali, Rosa Parks or Martin Luther King take a knee, lol.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice
    Simon - It is designed to increase racism, same as BLM - that is their goal.

Agreed.

LUHE - I never saw Tommy Carlos, Muhammad Ali, Rosa Parks or Martin Luther King take a knee, lol.

Just keep watching the BBC's usual re-write of history and you will!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit