Taking The Knee 14 months after George Floyd's death

by LoveUniHateExams 22 Replies latest social current

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Taking the knee became popular among sportspeople immediately after the death of George Floyd in May 2020.

Most football (that's soccer to you Yanks) players are still taking the knee before matches more than a year later.

What has it achieved?

What do expect it to achieve in the future?

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

It's all just virtue signalling. It achieves nothing. In fact, as a relative of colour of mine stated, 'all this stuff is just dividing us more because people are forced to judge a person by their colour'. (Thats 'color' to you Yanks )

Most of my 'of colour' (I hate all these PC terms), think we've all gone mad and causing apartheid.

I wonder if this 'woke dividing' is an intentional device for a power that wishes to overthrow us? Conspiratorial? Perhaps. But if you're going to put a dislike on this comment, please have the courage to comment why. We can have a conversation maybe, enlighten each other.

I bet taking the knee, like in Game of Thrones on TV, has stopped racism that was patently fading away in the UK anyway.

Another 'of colour' friend of mine says she feels awkward going out now in case this 'woke' pigswill has made white people judge her as a victim-hood seeker. Thank you, lefties, you are a bunch of tossers.

It's doing more harm than good.

• Overrated
    Overrated

I find it ridiculous and disrespectful. And who was George Floyd? My point exactly.

• Overrated
    Overrated

George Floyd had so much drugs in him to stop and elephant. An yes what that cop did was wrong. But how long do we need to drag this on?

• joe134cd
    joe134cd

This has probably been said a million times before. Colour aside, Mr Floyd was a piece of shit and certainly no Martyr. I often wonder what would of happened if it was Mr Floyd’s knee on the policeman’s neck. However, I won’t be going into that. That been said the force used certainly was extreme and not warranted. For that I can have a degree of sympathy for him, but there was a lot that could of been done to have stoped the situation escalating to the point it got to.

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

Surely the Black Lives Matter movement could come up with a more meaningful mascot than someone who was defrauding a business owner while amped up on drugs (and killed not merely ‘by police’, but by someone already known to him through working together as private security). That is if their intentions are actually to help prevent racism. But there is a chasm between the concept that ‘black lives matter’ and the BLM movement.

• Simon
    Simon

I judge people by who they pick to be their heroes. Black people need to make better choices.

• IWant2Leave
    IWant2Leave

Colin Karpernick knelt in 2016 protesting police brutality, oppression, and racial injustice before the world ever heard of George Floyd.

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

IWant2Leave:

Colin Karpernick knelt in 2016 protesting police brutality, oppression, and racial injustice before the world ever heard of George Floyd.

I thought it wasn’t something that only started after Floyd’s death. The specific gesture aside, there remain significant problems with the BLM ‘movement’ though.

• Overrated
    Overrated

I know some "Black People " they say this is ridiculous.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit