GB and Moses—an interesting similarity!

by Ireneus 16 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Ireneus
    Ireneus

Hi myelaine

Second half of what you wrote confirms Bernard Shaw’s view of the Bible.

My point is that God’s word should be crystal clear on everything it says—like Junction Signaling humans have done on earth. RED Signal means STOP …etc. Otherwise it accomplishes opposite results.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

The treatment of his loyal, wise Midianite wife really put me off the character of Moses. I found his hearty approval of Phineas' brutal murder of the Isrealite with the Midianite "foreign wife," in the Sinai dessert, so disgustingly hypocritical.

He was also ungrateful, since as you say, his wife also saved his life. Her father, too, saved his life in the dessert, being the epitome of the generous middle eastern host (where I'm sure the modern custom arose from in that region).

• Ireneus
    Ireneus

Hi Diogenesister

“Be strong and courageous” (Joshua 1:9; Jeremiah 1:8) is a command from God. What if everyone obeys this command and courageously read the Bible without the help of religious leaders? They will all come to the conclusion that Bible is filled with human thoughts and imagination.

See how the book of Exodus is made. The way many times Israelites had to quarrel for their basic needs such as food and water shows that God was not leading them. (Exodus 17:2) If He was really leading them, He would have taken care of it without anyone asking for them (Mathew 6:8) At one point they were even about to stone Moses (Ex 17:4)

If God would not lead people the way it is depicted in exodus then it means accounts are just human thoughts.

• myelaine
    myelaine

dear Ireneus...

Did Bernard Shaw thoroughly investigate what the bible said or were his thoughts and observations based on how people practiced their beliefs?

The quote you used, without context, could have just as easily favored my statements if he HAD intestigated the bible. If we were in agreement, his opinion could have been about people such as yourself...thinking "it says what you mean".

So, if you think you're fortifying your position by adding a random quote to your particular building blocks of "biblical" knowledge, you're sorely mistaken.

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to discuss these things though. Have a wonderful day!

michelle

• Ireneus
    Ireneus

Hi myelaine

Your question is interesting: “Did Bernard Shaw thoroughly investigate what the bible said or were his thoughts and observations based on how people practiced their beliefs?”

I have thoroughly investigated what the Bible says, and have found that most of the things it says poorly depicts God, and thus dishonors Him (which is more than what Bernard Shaw feels). Bible is a simple book of just 31,102 verses, and you have 86400 seconds in a day—imagine how many times you can read the Bible in a year!

What claims to be written about God in the Bible does not match with what God has actually done in the nature. His style is so majestic that He cares for more than what is just required. Look at one of His acts—our planet home. It is more wonderful than it is convenient, more beautiful than it is useful. God could provide only what removes our hunger and thirst—yet look at the variety of each fruit, flower ….

Now in the backdrop of this, you read Exodus. The way many times Israelites had to quarrel for their basic needs such as food and water shows that God was not leading them. (Exodus 17:2) If He was really leading them, He would have taken care of it more than just sustenance even without anyone asking for them (Mathew 6:8) At one point they were even about to stone Moses (Ex 17:4)

If God would not lead people the way it is depicted in exodus then it means accounts are just human thoughts. This is true of most of other accounts in the Bible--something true prophets like Jeremiah could insightfully declare. (Jeremiah 8:8)

• myelaine
    myelaine

dear Ireneus...

A two week journey took 40 years.
    What happened to the Hebrews, during that wondering, that wouldn't have happened if they got 5 star treatment while being ushered directly into the promised land? What happened because of the extended journey?

You have your own idea about how the "real" God would have treated the Hebrews, how has He treated you since you began your journey? Have you got anything to report?

michelle

• Ireneus
    Ireneus

Hi Michelle,

It is not that I have ‘my own idea about how the "real" God would have treated the Hebrews.’

It is like the concept we have about Fire Force Service personnel. They have created a consistent record of putting off fire that was on our property and other valuables. Suddenly, when someone says in his area, Fire Force personnel came and set on fire his house and valuables we wouldn’t believe that person. Similarly, Book of Nature which is better documented than Scriptures shows what kind of God He is. Unfortunately, He is very poorly depicted in the Bible because of the “lying pen of the Scribes” (Jeremiah 8:8)

You asked “how has He treated you since you began your journey? Have you got anything to report?”

What God has done to the whole mankind is divided by 7.6 billion (the present population) is what He has done to me. I would have been more than happy with mere sustenance. Yet look at the variety—for example apple—7500 variety! So is the case with each fruit and flower. Hence my present life is not enough if I were to thank Him. Hence I do not ask: “how has He treated me since I began my journey?”

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit