besty
    nice!
  • LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Spend the day with Noam Chomsky?

Er, no thanks.

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

Don't have time to respond to everyone (study/homework) but to answer Village Idiots question:

He looks great! Slow and steady, but not at all fragile-looking. His wife is at his side at all times, often holding his hand. She would assist him getting up and down the stairs to the stage. He's also a bit hard of hearing, despite hearing aids.

Ok, fun story:

So he gives the first lecture, which is pretty standard Chomsky fare (linguistics-wise), and then during a coffee break he leaves the venue with his wife to take go rest awhile somewhere.

After the break, a prof from UConn gives a really great lecture on some studies he's done using neuroimaging, but again, Chomsky isn't in the auditorium at this point.

I'm sitting in the back row so as to remain as inconspicuous as possible, and since Chomsky had already given his main talk of the day, there are empty seats on either side of me. The prof from UConn is about halfway through his talk, and guess who walks in and sits down right next to me? Chomsky and his wife! I almost fell over (thankfully I was sitting).

I'm not usually one to be starstruck, but I have to admit I was. Cool experience.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

I have to say that I would just love to have been there......(so would my dub wife whose blinkers on religion don't stop her being fascinated by the human brain and fell in love with Chomsky's work years ago)

I have seen a couple of tv interviews he has done in recent times , talking global politics . The man looks a bit frail but very sharp mentally , he talks a lot of sense.

• talesin
    talesin

Holy cool! We are not worthy. I hope you soaked it all in, and took a few pics. He is legend, and it must have been so interesting. xx tal

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit