Spent the Day With Noam Chomsky

by breakfast of champions 14 Replies latest members private

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

This had to be one of the best days of my life. Amazing. Surreal.

I was notified about a month or so ago by my linguistics dept. that there was a special syntax program to be given at Princeton featuring Noam Chomsky, father of modern linguistics and cognitive science.

To start, it was a beautiful day and the Princeton campus is gorgeous.

The lectures were great, had breakfast and lunch with the group (about 70 or so people -- including Chomsky and his wife), and a group photo with my linguistics dept. . . .

I'm still pinching myself.

Yep. The witness kid who was literally beaten by his mother for even expressing an interest in college; who was dragged before the elders to "readjust my thinking" when I got too excited about college after a class trip to our state university; and who eschewed college for pioneering out of high school because the end was sooooo close twenty-something years ago.. . . . . . spent the entire day with Noam Chomsky.

• LevelThePlayingField
    LevelThePlayingField
    See, that's just the thing that we, who are no longer in the clutches of the JW mind set can appreciate. We appreciate the little things in life that are awesome! Way to go breakfast. I'm so happy for you. Keep smiling and keep on movin'!
  • sowhatnow
    sowhatnow

wow, awesome, my son would be so envious lol

he liked his books.

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot
    How's he doing health wise?
  • Spiral
    Spiral
    Fabulous! What a wonderful experience. Tell us more!
  • OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

A buddy of mine has a Masters in Linguistics..

I told him about this thread..

He would have loved to have been there..LOL!!..

A JW ,to Princeton,to a Day with Noam Chomsky..

Wow!...Not bad at all BOC!..

Good for You..

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Wow!

Fantastic opportunity!

• Half banana
    Half banana
    Just brilliant BofC (but I can't help intuitively disagreeing with Chomsky's language acquisition device).
  • smiddy
    smiddy

Another success story on leaving behind the anti - high Education policy of the J.W.`s .

Good for you b.o.c.

smiddy

• konceptual99
    konceptual99
    Good job!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit