Does the GB/WT now ,ever talk about 6,000 years of human history ?

by smiddy3 27 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

In C.T.Russell`s time it was supposed to have ended in the late 1880`s ,when Jesus Christ was supposed to have returned in 1874 ,and Armageddon was to have happened in 1914 according to WT publications back then .

Around about 1968/9 they amended that time frame to the year 1975 as the end of 6000 years of human history ,and they said in their publications that it would be an appropriate time for Christ Jesus to begin his 1000 year rule over the earth.

Which would align with WT teaching that a creative day was 7,000 years long.

I think the book was "life Everlasting In freedom of The Sons Of God " WTB&TS

My question is : Do they still talk about 6,000 of human history ?

Do they still talk about 7,000 years as a creative day ? "From paradise Lost To Paradise Regained " WTB&TS

Or are these questions just something else that the GB/JW have let slide under the radar not to be talked about anymore.

And try to deny it as apostate lies ,even though it is in there own literature for all to see.

• Anders Andersen
    Anders Andersen
    My question is : Do they still talk about 6,000 of human history ?

Yes.

Do they still talk about 7,000 years as a creative day ? "From paradise Lost To Paradise Regained " WTB&TS

No. They now ambiguously state that creation days can be 'many thousands of years'. This accommodates the old timers who still believe in 7000 years but at the same time allows the younger crowd to accept scientific evidence that plants and animals existed long before 49.000 years ago (of course they still ignore the evidence re the age of mankind). They're really masters of word crafting.

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

And what is meant by 6000 years of human history?

• waton
    waton

from the talking snake, to the "Proclaimers "book and real life stories in the wt.

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

so when was the flood in this 6000 year timescale ?

• blondie
    blondie

I've brought this up in my comments over the years starting in 2003. The WTS changed this around 1987 and updated in1989, changing the 7,000 year creative day to thousands of year creative day, but never had a study article to explain. This meant almost 100 years of wrong understanding, and eliminating one of the foundations of the 1975 doctrine. There was no explanation, just a change in terms.

The reason I became aware of this is due to some jws not wanting to part with their old book study copy of the book (CE-Creation book) then being studied again. One older brother was such a person. The conductor was a new jw in 1995. Missed the hidden change in 1987. Most of his group were pre-1987 and more importantly, pre-1975.

(Also the pre-1989 Reasoning book was updated as well to take out 7,000 year reference. See pages 88, 125, 126 and compare to a pre-1989 version; note that in the WOL version of the 9/87 KM that the WTS links other pages to the updated Reasoning book but not the 1987 reference to page 88, seemingly trying not to appear to be changing the wording in that book as it was in 1987)

During the 9 years (1966-1975) when the WTS started emphasizing the 7,000 year creative day, the WTS used the concept of the 7,000 creative day as a linchpin for supporting their chronology end in 1975 doctrine. Of course, when that did not happen, the WTS had to backtrack and re-invent their history.

This quote was used in the revised CE, Creation book (2006 now on WOL), preparing jws:

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/1101985013#h=6:0-10:430

Day” as used in the Bible can include summer and winter, the passing of seasons. (Zechariah 14:8) “The day of harvest” involves many days. (Compare Proverbs 25:13 andGenesis 30:14.) A thousand years are likened to a day. (Psalm 90:4; 2 Peter 3:8, 10) “Judgment Day” covers many years. (Matthew 10:15; 11:22-24) It would seem reasonable that the “days” of Genesis could likewise have embraced long periods of time​—millenniums.

Last mention of 7,000 year creative day in a WTS publication per WOL (WT Online Library) searching with the phrase “creative day” and then sorting results with “in same sentence” and by most recent date, going down and starting with 1987.

1/1/1987 (this is the only reference to 7,000 years that survives on the WOL, all other publications that contained it have been re-issued under a new date, such as the Insight books)

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/1987007?q=creative+day&p=sen

Second, a study of the fulfillment of Bible prophecy and of our location in the stream of time strongly indicate that each of the creative days (Genesis, chapter 1) is 7,000 years long. It is understood that Christ’s reign of a thousand years will bring to a close God’s 7,000-year ‘rest day,’ the last ‘day’ of the creative week. (Revelation 20:6; Genesis 2:2, 3) Based on this reasoning, the entire creative week would be 49,000 years long.

Starting in 1989 (after the revision of the Reasoning book came out), the WTS starting using “thousands of years” or the equivalent in its publications regarding the length of a creative day. Few older jws noticed the change, and newer jws never knew it had been a change.

Here is the first mention of a creative day not being used as 7,000 years long since the WTS makes no mention of that length of time between the 1st and the 6th creative days, as being 42,000 years but “thousands of years.”

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/1994529?q=creative+day+years&p=sen

Many thousands of years went by between the first creative day and the sixth, when Adam was created.

• blondie
    blondie

Stanlivedeath,

Beginning of creation of Adam and Eve (with the creation of Eve the 6th creative day ended per the WTS 4026 BCE), note the dance around the WTS used to say there was no time gap of 30 years between the creation of Adam and the creation of Eve):

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/s/r1/lp-e?q=4026&p=par&r=occ

According to reliable Bible chronology Adam was created in the year 4026 B.C.E., likely in the autumn of the year, at the end of the sixth day of creation. ...Since it was also Jehovah’s purpose for man to multiply and fill the earth, it is logical that he would create Eve soon after Adam, perhaps just a few weeks or months later in the same year, 4026 B.C.E.

Counting from beginning of 7th Creative day 4026 to flood beginning (2370 BCE)

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/1200001150?q=flood+2370&p=sen

The catastrophic destruction of men and animals by an overwhelming flood in the days of Noah, 2370 B.C.E.

• Slidin Fast
    Slidin Fast

Here is the crux of the problem for the WT.

It is possible to follow the time line back to the creation of Adam according to bible chronology. It's quite simple and it takes you back to C4026 bc from my imperfect memory. I know this because I've done it. This ia the reasoning that brought about the 1975 debacle. So, that is the bible's story and because anyone can do the simple math it is unassailable.

But, it is perfectly obvious that the bible story does not fit with fact. It just doesn't. It is just not possible to justify a myth about 6000 years of human existence against so much evidence to the contrary.

So if Jesus preached and accepted the creation story and bible "fact". Where does that leave Christianity?

There lies the WT quandary.

• blondie
    blondie

I noted this about how the WTS had to dance around a bit by surmising that Eve was created shortly after Adam, thus not creating a possible 30-year gap between the creation of Adam and the creation of Eve (the end of creation by god, the end of the 6th creative day.

Thus the 7th creative day would have to be more like 2005 (1975 + 30 years), which is why you might see that date pop up in comments by ex-jws as this being the real date of the beginning of the End.

Beginning of creation of Adam and Eve (with the creation of Eve the 6th creative day ended per the WTS 4026 BCE), note the dance around the WTS used to say there was no time gap of 30 years between the creation of Adam and the creation of Eve):

The whole thing was crap from the beginning in the 1966 race to 1975. I figured based on Matthew 24:44, if the end could be determined by the WTS rules:

1. Satan could have figured it out since he knew the timetable.

2. Jesus would have known from the beginning since he had been from the beginning

3. It humans could figure it out, then it could not be correct, because Jesus said it would come at a time humans did not think it could come.

I was only 14 in 1966, so from that point on, I never got on the 1975 bandwagon.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

They now ambiguously state that creation days can be 'many thousands of years'. This accommodates the old timers who still believe in 7000 years but at the same time allows the younger crowd to accept scientific evidence that plants and animals existed long before 49.000 years ago (of course they still ignore the evidence re the age of mankind). They're really masters of word crafting.

^^^ This.

Of course, there must be some JWs silently struggling with the sillier aspects of bible history and the days of creation each many thousands of years long.

Here's a human fossil, not of our species (sapiens) but in the same genus (Homo). It's a youngish male individual of Homo ergaster ('Turkana Boy') and he lived about 1.5 million years ago.

Turkana Boy.jpg

I wonder if he'll get a resurrection?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit