Lloyd Evans keeps doing parts on how the JWs are guilty of follwing the bible.

by mickbobcat 27 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• MeanMrMustard
    MeanMrMustard

What ever happened to "The Six Screens of the Watchtower"? Are they still going?

• HowTheBibleWasCreated
    HowTheBibleWasCreated

I agree with what Lloyd is doing but to be honest a theological outlook to the bible is damaging not only to one's sanity but to the bible itself. Sure Lloyd made a funny video on 1 Samuel 15 with his famous "Stab, Stab Stab, Death, Death Death." comments. The fact is that if you read the same story in the Iliad no one would complain, See how a theological view of the bible is damaging?

The best way to read the bible is open and ready for any arguments presented. (Which are often side by side)

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

HowTheBibleWasCreated:

Sure Lloyd made a funny video on 1 Samuel 15 with his famous "Stab, Stab Stab, Death, Death Death." comments. The fact is that if you read the same story in the Iliad no one would complain

And if anyone out there starts saying that you’ll die if you don’t believe and respect everything in the Iliad, that will be a valid point.

• TD
    TD

This is not an argument against the cult its an argument against the bible.

I agree that criticism of the JW's should be strictly in the context of how they view the Bible and not how someone else thinks they should

In the larger context of Christianity in general, some of it depends on what you view the Bible to be.

JW's and kindred groups view the Bible as a single, contiguous, harmonious work from cover to cover authored by God himself via direct plenary inspiration.

Liberal flavors of Christianity tend view it more as what it actually is: A loosely organized anthology reflecting not only the culture in which it was written, but the different opinions of the authors themselves.

The clash in the NT between the Jewish and Gentile factions, Paul's open insults to James and the fact that the book of James reads as a rebuttal to the book of Galatians all make a whole lot more sense under that rubric

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

I feel a lot of YouTubers are in it for 'fame' and the trappings that follow. Whether Mr Evans is one of these or not, I do not know.

I really don't take notice of people on their soap boxes anymore. It's all false.

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

I think that criticism of the Bible is fair, if made with some restraint and respect for deep seated feelings of religious people. A book that is styled to be God's word should be met with intense scrutiny as the claim of divine authorship is so great, that great evidence is demanded as proof. As I discovered, the Bible quickly gets debunked on a number of grounds. And yet there are undoubtedly some bits to it that carry some valid wisdom so, it shouldn't be soiled too lightly.

It is an immensely valuable document from a sociological, anthropological and historical point of view, and so interesting to analyze even for a non-believer. Having said that ... It was only when I stopped idolizing the Bible or read it with devotional lenses that I was able to move on with my life after mourning the loss of my JW faith.

• LV101
    LV101

What is Lloyd Evans' website?

Thanks.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Personally, I'm totally cool with the Bible.

In fact, I'm a big fan of fantasy, horror, and graphic violence.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit