If a JW becomes inactive is he then labeled as an apostate?

by Pallbearer 24 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Clarkey
    Clarkey

To be viewed as an apostate for merely becoming inactive seems quite unreasonable to me, which gives me the feeling that the rumor is untrue.

That would be correct, its only if you say something opposed to the organization, the governing leaders or specific doctrines, you are then labeled an apostate, but if you just go inactive your labeled spiritually weak.

• Pallbearer
    Pallbearer

fastJehu said: Here it is black on white:

w81 9/15 p. 23 par. 16 Disfellowshiping—How to View It

16 Persons who make themselves “not of our sort” by deliberately rejecting the faith and beliefs of Jehovah’s Witnesses should appropriately be viewed and treated as are those who have been disfellowshiped for wrongdoing.

That's interesting, and thanks for posting it. What, though, about those who have become inactive but still hold to the faith and beliefs of Jehovah's Witnesses? Are they considered to be apostates?

• Pallbearer
    Pallbearer

Thanks, Clarkey! I just noticed your post, and it makes a lot of sense.

Paul

• Anna Marina
    Anna Marina

Inactivity is fine providing you are in good standing. Even if you can't be bothered to put in a report the elders will make one up for you and not tell you they have done so.

You might say to an elder, "I have done nothing this month." Then they will say, "but you must have done something you can count time for, even if you can't remember." Then they'll help you to remember.

However if start questioning Watchtower doctrine and quoting scriptures straight from the Bible - that's it. You are suspicious. Just like if you say the name Jesus a bit too often, you might be an apostate.

• fastJehu
    fastJehu

@pallbearer

An inactive JW is no longer believing - because for a JW "faith without works is dead.”

*** w16 October pp. 28-29 par. 8 Exercise Your Faith in Jehovah’s Promises ***

James goes on to show the clear difference between mere belief and the exercising of one’s faith. The demons believe that God exists, but they have no true faith. Rather, they faithlessly work against the fulfillment of God’s purposes. (Jas. 2:19, 20) By contrast, referring to another ancient man of faith, James asks: “Was not Abraham our father declared righteous by works after he offered up Isaac his son on the altar? You see that his faith was active along with his works and his faith was perfected by his works.” Then to drive home the point that faith must be shown by works, James adds: “Just as the body without spirit is dead, so also faith without works is dead.”—Jas. 2:21-23, 26.

• Pallbearer
    Pallbearer

@fastJehu

Thanks for your comment but it doesn't seem to support or warrant viewing an inactive JW as an apostate, and particularly if the JW is weak spiritually (like Clarkey stated) or perhaps is going through some kind of an extreme hardship or has been traumatized by some event in life (like a child or one's mate having died).

Thanks for your input just the same.

Paul

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

apostates have more fun!

• minimus
    minimus

My understanding is that if a person stops going to meetings they are not necessarily apostates. If they try to talk against the JW religion and it has become well known they could be viewed as apostates. Some elders will pursue this course while others won’t bother.

• dubstepped
    dubstepped

No. Inactive are not considered apostates. Apostates are one that have left the JW faith, not simply the activity. I and many others were inactive for years and not considered apostates.

• Pallbearer
    Pallbearer

Thank you, Minimus and Dubstepped. So far, no one seems to know of an actual case in which a JW has been labeled an apostate for becoming inactive. Where I heard the "rumor" I referred to in my opening post was while I was watching an ex-JW's YouTube video. The person flat out swore that it is a fact, and his wife backed him up by saying it is true. That's what got me to wondering if maybe I had some catching up to do, although I had my doubts at the same time. I'm not saying the person and his wife are lying; perhaps they have misunderstood something or don't have all the facts. Or perhaps it is a fact, but an isolated case in which certain members of the congregation have foolishly called an inactive person an apostate. Immature or thoughtless people do dumb things sometimes. I can cite an actual example of something dumb that I overheard a long, long time ago while attending an Assembly. My wife and I were relatively new at the time. It had become time to go home and the volunteers had already started their cleaning work as my wife and I were leaving the building. As we were walking towards the exit we happened to notice that two of the brothers sweeping the floor nearby were members of our Congregation. And as plain as day we heard one exclaim to the other, "All we need is another nut !!!" It didn't sound like he was trying to be funny, he sounded very serious, like he was really disgusted at someone. I'm sure that the person who said that was at least a Ministerial Servant at the time if not an Elder, and he would go on to become the Presiding Overseer about 5 to 6 years later. It shocked me hearing a JW talk in such a dumb, abrasive, way like that, and I have never forgotten it. That was many a year ago, and I hope that he eventually grew up.

Paul

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit