If a JW becomes inactive is he then labeled as an apostate?

by Pallbearer 24 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Pallbearer
    Pallbearer

I have heard a rumor that if a JW becomes inactive he or she is considered to be an apostate. Is this true? Has anyone here on this forum had such an experience? How can I find out if this is an official practice? Is it mentioned somewhere in the Watchtower's literature?

To be viewed as an apostate for merely becoming inactive seems quite unreasonable to me, which gives me the feeling that the rumor is untrue.

Please let me know if you have any knowledge about this.

Thanks,

Paul

• Biahi
    Biahi

They probably at least are “suspected “ of being apostates, but idk, I’ve been “inactive” for over 30 years. Ha!

• sloppyjoe2
    sloppyjoe2
    I don’t think that is an official practice. While inactive I was shunned by most witnesses and family witnesses. But when I started openly celebrating holidays, that’s when I was really shunned by all. No one actually called me an apostate to my face or in communication, but I am sure that’s how I am viewed.
  • Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

Official JW.org doctrine: Apostasy is abandoning, deserting or rejecting Jehovah’s organization [the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society]; so by definition, anyone that 'abandoned' (or has let themselves become "inactive") is an apostate.

Contrast this with the regularly accepted definition of Apostasy: Apostasy in Christianity is the rejection of Christianity by someone who formerly was a Christian.

So you can be an apostate in the JW simply by abandoning the WTBTS organization (becoming inactive), whereas in most churches you must reject the entire Christian faith (so you can change churches, denominations etc) to be considered an apostate.

My experience:

I have been officially inactive for a decade, I am officially also still an MS, I am also labeled an apostate by many. Mostly because they tried to but failed to disfellowship me, but I was able to hold any change in status with legal action and they've since forgotten about me. I'm sure someone at some point will simply throw out my publisher card.

The apostate label does not follow any status in the JW organization, it is something you can be labeled whenever you disagree with the ever-changing WTBTS official doctrine. By definition, anyone inactive is disagreeing with the WTBTS doctrine that you have to attend meetings to be "saved", so yes, inactive ones are apostates.

If you post here, as many a faithful JW do, you are considered an apostate.

• hoser
    hoser

We’ve been shunned for years. Mrs Hoser isn’t a team player and we really don’t mind the shunning. Jws are so on edge in social settings afraid of what others will think or say. Life is to short to live that way.

Never been labelled an apostate though

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

If you post here, as many a faithful JW do, you are considered an apostate.

ha ha--that should shake up the fence sitters on here.

• Biahi
    Biahi

Wow, now I’m curious, do you think my publisher card got thrown away? I hope so, no way of knowing without contact that congregation, I guess.

• Davros
    Davros

If someone sneezes and you say God Bless You......

you just might be an apostate,,,,,,,,

do you think my publisher card got thrown away?

probably not

• fastJehu
    fastJehu

Here it is black on white:

*** w81 9/15 p. 23 par. 16 Disfellowshiping—How to View It ***

16 Persons who make themselves “not of our sort” by deliberately rejecting the faith and beliefs of Jehovah’s Witnesses should appropriately be viewed and treated as are those who have been disfellowshiped for wrongdoing.

• Overrated
    Overrated

Wow, I'm so glad I got a label. I have a label for Watchtower and their followers, " Dumbasses "!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit