Supreme Court Of Russia bans Jehovah's Witnesses as an 'extremist organization'

by EdenOne 95 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• DJS
    DJS

Apologies for the length of this.

I won’t insult anyone’s intelligence by suggesting that we ignore the two rather obvious elephants in the room as regards the Russian extremist laws. The first and biggest elephant is of course the backdrop of the former Soviet Union’s oppressive rule. Knowing that Vlad and his Impalers have their roots in the KGB additionally makes the elephant impossible to ignore.

The second elephant is the Russian Orthodox Church and everything else that Vlad and his Impalers believe should be protected.

Having said that, let’s take a close look at the actual 2002 legislation, which I believe is genius. After the events of 9/11/2001, the US and other nations quickly developed and enacted laws to mitigate terrorist activity. All of these laws were designed to give governments more TACTICAL powers and abilities to track, listen to, record, wiretap, intercept, etc. communications from anyone suspected of terrorist activities.

Most of these laws toe stepped on existing constitutions. The US Patriot Act was designed so that it was inevitable that the CIA, NSA, et al would trample all over everyone’s rights. They did. But these laws enabled tactical and more proactive measures by governments to mitigate terrorism.

All of the laws were tactical that is with one exception: Russia. Russia developed and enacted an anti-terrorist law in response to 9/11 that was designed to address terrorism from a root cause perspective. It is the only law that utilizes a STRATEGIC approach to mitigating the problem.

Note Article 3 of the Federal Law of July 25 2002, as amended in 2006, 2007 and 2008:

Article 3. Main thrusts for combating extremist activity- The combating of extremist activity shall follow the main thrusts listed below:

"Taking of preventive measures aimed at preventing extremist activity, including the detection and subsequent elimination of the causes and conditions facilitating the carrying out of extremist activity; detection, prevention and suppression of extremist activity of public and religious associations, other organisations and physical individuals."

If you can separate from the KGB, the old Soviet Union and the ROC for a second and simply view these laws as they are written, they are the ONLY laws that will prove effective against extremist activities over the long term. I’m a root cause analysis person. I would rather do something one time to fix the problem forever than continuing to put worthless bandages on a bleeding wound.

The genius of this seems lost on many of you. Islamic terrorism exists because one nasty religion thinks that its god is better than other nasty religions. Much of the divisiveness, hatred, oppression and discrimination on this planet exists for the same reason: One vile religion thinks that its god is better than my god or your god.

Russian laws are designed to address the problem by a strategic, long term approach. If the ROC would stay out of this fray and Mother Russia would stop using KGB tactics to ‘find’ Dub literature, the rest of the world would likely sit back in awe of these laws.

Imagine. No religion. Nothing to kill or die for. Lennon was right, but humans are a pathetic species and most seem to need religion to make them behave. The next best option is for religions to police themselves. How is that working out for us???????

The next best option is for governments to place rational limits on what a religion can teach and their activities. That is what Vlad and the Impalers are doing.

Let it come.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Thanks DJS, most informative, and gives us a good, fact based answer as soon as our JW acquaintances come out with the " Persecution by Babylon the Great" spiel.

• Sanchy
    Sanchy

I cannot understand for the life of me how some of you here have been able to let build so much anger and resentment in your hearts so as to possibly consider the probable upcoming pain/troubles/persecutions of those you once considered "brothers" to be a good thing. My friends, I know the JW religion has been the source of much personal pain for most of us, but please remember that two wrongs do NOT make a right. A few points I'd like to make:

1) Since when do government bans stop the JW message from spreading? History shows that it only has a contrary effect. Gov bans do NOT stop JWs, freedom of information does.

2) These are real individuals involved that will suffer real pains and persecutions for the reason of following their religious conscience. No matter how "pathetic" you think the religious doctrines are, it's every individuals right to follow their own individual conscience. No government law can ever change this fact without becoming a tyranny, and it's attempts to do so will only replace one oppressive system with another.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

When I first read about Jehovah's Witnesses being banned as an extremist group in Russia. I thought it was too good to be true.

Unfortunately, they ARE an extremist group and not the benign group some make them out to be. As others have pointed out, if Witnesses were running the show, there would be NO rights for anybody else!

I am sorry, though, about whatever the rank & file JWs are about to suffer there in their ignorance as they will probably try to defy the law because they feel it is expected of them.

I know many people, especially in the U.S.A., feel freedom of religion is sacrosanct. Well, what happens when ANY particular religion becomes a threat OR a liability to the country it resides in?? What about everybody else's rights?? The world is facing this problem right now.

• DJS
    DJS

Sanchy,

You have provided no content to this discussion, other than an uninformed rant. The dubs can continue to be dubs and can continue to believe whatever they wish. They are not free, however, to have or distribute literature that violates the very good Russian law which is rational and fair. They are also not free to teach those beliefs to others when those beliefs violate the same extremist laws.

They are also not free to practice beliefs that violate those laws. Or are you also ok with child sacrifice, Warren Jeffs, honor killings, forced genital mutilation, the stoning or burning of heretics, and the local bakery not making a cake for an LGBT couple??? Those religious teachings and practices have come under control recently in various places. Do you think the governments made a mistake?

Religion has limits in its teachings and practices. THAT is what this is about, and the dubs can flourish in Russia, but the Dark Lords will have to lose their exclusivity, remove that exclusivity from all literature (electronic included), and stop practices deemed extremist by Russia.

Destroying families, banning blood, banning participation in the democratic process and coercing 10 year olds to get baptized are extremist, dangerous practices well within a country's rights to control.

If you can find a fault in the Russian laws please explain it.

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    Longhair gal: they will probably try to defy the law because they feel it is expected of them.

Exactly.

One of the expectations of JW membership is that they are to be anti-government at all times and especially when the WTS deems it to be appropriate.

The JWs are anti-everything but what really gets them in hot water is their anti-government stance. And their suicidal loyalty requirements under the blood ban.

They behave as though they are a resistance force led by a US based religion that attempts to force their version of "freedom of religion" on everybody else. They call themselves a religion but they behave like a political force.

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

Oh, the suffering of the rank and file... The jail sentences, the physical abuse. I am so saddened by the needless attacks that will continue to take place.

Such attacks surely will not be endured by the GB, their helpers or anyone in the upper echelons of this Org.

So very sad.

DY

• Giordano
    Giordano

Once again the followers of the WTBTS will suffer the consequences of the dogma and polices of the WTBTS. Polices set in motion by Rutherford, Fred Franz, Knorr and hardliners and the GB at Bethel.

Polices that were designed to separate the JW's from their governments. When you are separated from the general community it is easier to become a target.

Once again other corrupted religions are instigators encouraging the Government to be the hammer.

• Barrold Bonds
  • Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

They can't be seen to be " picking" only on Islamic extremist groups. OK, JWs are not violent - yet - but they ARE extremists and the GB has utter control over the dubs.They contribute nothing to a society they ABHOR and wait gleefully for the destruction of millions of non-witness Russians. They are a cult. What more can I say? I don't agree with it but I am glad I it prevents just one Ruian becoming a dub.

JWs still can worship privately, its the legal entity the Russian govt are targeting.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit