How do the GB micro-manage people's lives today?

by UnshackleTheChains 22 Replies latest jw experiences

• UnshackleTheChains
    UnshackleTheChains
    How do the GB micro-manage people's lives today?One example is their micro management in dress and grooming. Eg their view of beards. Elders in most congs will take a brother to a corner and remind him why JWs don't grow beards. That's definitely micro management.
    So, do you think the GB micro manages people's lives? If Yes! HOW?
  • OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

GB video about "spanks" and tight clothing.

Regardless of how much they have lightened up on the "FIVE" meetings, they still require everyone to have a significant share in the recruiting work and they expect members to be at that Kingdom Hall every week.

They still insist on shunning what would be close family members.

College is bad, school sports is bad, worldly friends are bad, etc. etc. etc.

How do they micro-manage the people? Through video and magazines and meetings and elders.

• Rainbow_Troll
    Rainbow_Troll
    How does the GB micromanage the lives of JWs?

Answer: Any way they can.

A better question might be: In what areas does the GB not micromanage their lives?

Despite the oft quoted phrase "matter of conscience" that you occasionally find in the Watchtower, there are precious few areas where those crochety old men don't intrude. Diet. The consumption of alcohol. The decision to use contraception. These are the only places I can recall where JWs are actually allowed to think through an ethical dilemma using their own brain; though I anticipate that the GB will eventually get around to shoring up these holes in their net of control (it's not like they have anything better to do). Even completely non-ethical issues, like dress and grooming, are decided for JWs in advance. Everything not forbidden is compulsory.

• millie210
    millie210

Wasnt it in the 80s that they had the policy on no oral sex between a married couple?

There were even "scriptural" divorces granted to an "injured" mate when the other partner insisted.

They backed away from that policy very quickly.

Then there is the birth control policy. No IUDs and no morning after pill.

You are not supposed to use any contraception that could interfere with implantation.

During this same time period, vasectomies were a no-no if you wanted to be a Pioneer or servant.

Again, you dont here much about those either

• Rainbow_Troll
    Rainbow_Troll
    Millie210: Then there is the birth control policy. No IUDs and no morning after pill. You are not supposed to use any contraception that could interfere with implantation. During this same time period, vasectomies were a no-no if you wanted to be a Pioneer or servant.

I stand corrected.

• millie210
    millie210
    I stand corrected.

Aw, Rainbow.... you are probably much younger than my old mind that hearkens back to this JW nonsense! (hugs to you)

• smiddy
    smiddy

No blood ,no organ transplants Its cannalbalism, no jeans or sneakers at meetings ,brothers should wear a tie.

No slacks to be worn by sisters either at meetings or field service,

Even when your a visiting delegate at an international convention and are sightseeing before or after the meetings you should dress as you would for FS

Thats just a few off the top of my head ,

• Saethydd
    Saethydd

no organ transplants Its cannalbalism

Actually, they have made it a matter of conscience now, though they understand if "some view it as cannibalism," (they say that in one of their articles like they have no idea where the notion that organ transplants are equivalent to cannibalism came from. *cough* it was from an earlier edition of their own fucking magazine. *cough*)

• smiddy
    smiddy

If I remember correctly it was in a Kingdom Ministry article.

• Nicholaus Kopernicus
    Nicholaus Kopernicus

One additional way in which the GBoJW micromanage the flock is by conveying a strong expectation of technology use and making paper based publications less than straightforward to obtain.

For example, in the parable of the sower Jesus explained that "the seed is the word of God." (Luke 8:11) For some years, JW's were being "encouraged" to use scripture as a prerequisite to placing a WT, AW, or other literature. Now however, this has been abandoned in favour of videos on a tablet or cellphone.

The Bro "taking the lead" at a "field ministry" meeting shows such videos on his tablet. He has a forced smile, vocal intonation and body language strongly suggestive of his not being at ease with what is expected of him. However, when I see JWs out and about in their ministry, I'm seeing literature in their hands rather than technoligy. Maybe folks in SE England are somewhat conservative and for them, tablets and cellphones on ministry is too much?

The GBoJW are being much more successful within Kingdom Hall based activities though. At all their meetings, paper based literature is now quite rare and there are cell phones and tablets in abundance. Having such (even the latest) is no longer seen as materialistic! Maybe they feel liberated!

This technology based micro management of JWs is however, rebelliousness on the part of the GBoJW! How so? In that "the seed is the word of God" according to Jesus, then just who does the GBoJW think they are? Their supplanting the "word of God" with videos is an ingrained hallmark of their conceit, arrogance, and spiritual bankruptcy!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit