latest jw community podcast has THE best interview

by cobweb 10 Replies latest jw friends

• cobweb
    cobweb

No really, its golden stuff. I just listened to it and it contains an amazing interview with an Australian activist who i only vaguely have heard of called Steven Unthank. He is one of the best guests i've heard on that show, competing with the governing body helper they interviewed once. The whole thing is about how he has been taking the religion to court in Australia and the impact that has had on the organisation policy. Maybe you have heard of this guy already and know his story but i hadn't and I found his account pretty incredible. They also mention Paul Gillies at the end and his convenient conversion to the anointed class recently which has been a topic of discussion here in last few days.

If you've got a spare 90 minutes have a listen, its quality stuff.

https://pca.st/HA6N

JW Community Podcast S6E17

How The Faithful and Discreet Slave Were Killed

Lara and Louise interview the most effective activist you have never heard of. Find out how he killed off the Faithful and Discreet Slave, how he got Jehovah's Witnesses included in the Australian Royal Commission, and how he got Watchtower to swear under oath in a court case that he was not an apostate and how the web

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

What a guy...what a name! Trying to get Watchtower to change is a thank-less task, after all.

See meself out.

• dubstepped
    dubstepped

Yeah, that guy is great. I had no knowledge of that whole FDS incident. He's a well spoken guy and he's clearly giving a lot of time and resources in his pursuits. I applaud his efforts.

I had seen the post here regarding Gillies but didn't read it and then Unthank spoke about him in the episode. That was fascinating too.

• cha ching
    cha ching

Absolutely incredible! To learn what happened during the beginning of this whole Australian Royal Commission and Geoffrey Jackson, why the term "mentally diseased" disappeared out of the Bible, why there is no 'anointed class anymore, that WT said ... well, I won't give it all away....

But, without all of the work this man has done for years, we would not be where we are today with child abuse laws, and the exposing of the Watchtower.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

This bit particularly stuck out at me (around the 1-hour mark)...

"That was very short-sighted... they were going for the 'right now, we shut this down, we cover it up' without realizing there's long-term consequences..."

I was not surprised at that, because that really is much of the Org's MO...

...it is reactive, not proactive, and...

...it really is comprised of True Believers.

Say what you will about cynical unbelievers who run religious organizations (*cough - David Miscavidge - cough*), but when they're at the top of the chain, they do have the presence of mind and practicality to cover their asses in a more long-term manner.

On the other hand...

...simply sticking a finger in the dyke and assuming that that would be enough is exactly the kind of boner that religious leaders would pull if...

a) ...they were certain the End actually was Nigh (so any mistakes wouldn't really matter), and...

b) ...they were convinced God had their back, no matter what.

Displaying and acting on a concern for long-term consequences would, in fact, demonstrate a "lack of faith" in those very specific aspects of their religious beliefs.

• JW GoneBad
    JW GoneBad

Thanks cobweb for the link...will give it a listen to!

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Yes!

Really great podcast. He is an amazing guy!

Much respect to Steven!

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

Also the Australian lass featured in the podcast has done an enormous amount, too, for us all(name slips my mind.. senior moment, sorry....she on the other hand is sharp as a razor)

Incredible that the happy convergence of Steven's hard work and the particular legal structure of the state of Victoria led to Watchtower being FORCED to make THE he biggest doctrinal change since, well i would guess Rutherfords time. And it was ANOUNCED BY A WOMAN!!!!

Just like that lousy female expert witness for watchtower at the ARC who was given the "Shepherd the Flock" elders manual, it goes to show that true believers they may be, but PROTECTING THEIR MONEY AND ASSETS ALWAYS COMES FIRST!!!

• jaydee
  • amicabl
    amicabl

One of the first “apostates” I heard about years ago was Steven Unthank. I imagined him as a bitter and twisted individual.

I have listened to this podcast twice in order to take it all in. He is a most amazing person who, along with others, has reduced watchtower to the snivelling defensive wreck that it appears to be now.

It is necessary to listen to fully appreciate what Steven has done to put watchtower on the back foot. More power to him as he quietly continues his work.

I intend to reference this for my “grew up in the truth” daughters to listen to, the eldest being a lawyer herself.

thoroughly recommended and very “upbuilding”.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit