What Books Have You Read That Been Critical Of The Jehovah's Witnesses?

by The Bethelite 17 Replies latest jw friends

•  The Bethelite
    The Bethelite

Please rate your top choices

1. Crises of Conscience. Ray Franz

2. Journey to God's house. Brock Talon

3. Leaving the Witness. Amber Scorah

Your picks?

• paulnotsaul
    paulnotsaul

So what's the difference? Fritz Ridenour

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

THE BETHELITE:

I read “Crisis of Conscience” by Ray Franz and one other book not on your list that I can’t remember.

The Ray Franz book was a real eye-opener as to what really goes on! There’s nothing holy about any of those people and it sounded like what goes on in a small communist country. I was already out of the JWs but this just sealed it.

• dropoffyourkeylee
    dropoffyourkeylee

Franz's second book '"In Search of Christian Freedom' was instrumental for me.

Another book which was not about JWs, but rather about cults in general, which I found eye-opening was 'The Wrong Way Home, Uncovering the patterns of cult behavior in American society', by Arthur Deikman.

• neat blue dog
    neat blue dog

The New Testament 😜

But seriously, that's what fully woke me up. After that, I'd say CoC and ISoCF.

• Rivergang
    Rivergang

Although now rather dated, I found WC Stevenson's The Inside Story of Jehovahs Witnesses to be an informative read. Being written by a person who majored in English at Oxford University, it is in a totally different league to the likes of Schnell's 30 Years a Watchtower Slave !

• Biahi
    Biahi

I’ve got a large library of ex JW books, dating back 30 plus years to the present. Each one has a different perspective. I guess Crisis of Conscience is #1.

• minimus
    minimus

Ray’s books

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Too many to list.

Visions of Glory by Barbara Grizzuti Harrison probably worth a mention, written by a young sister who worked at headquarters during Knorr presidency. A bit feminist and lacking supporting documentation, but good as first hand account.

The Sign of the Last Day by Jonsson and Herbst, good in its time but perhaps hasn’t aged well, not least becuase Watchtower has given up some of its more extravagant claims. Wonder why Watchtower doesn’t highlight earthquakes as much any more? Probably because of the critique in this book made earthquake hysteria untenable.

• RolRod
    RolRod

Just about everyone you can think of. Even the pro Watchtower books. Just sold a bunch of them on ebay.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit