Watchtower attempts 997 mind trick segue to 1914

by Darth FayDehr 17 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Darth FayDehr
    Darth FayDehr

Fancy a mind trick? Here’s 2 for the price of 1; if you only want Watchtower’s trick, skip to the next paragraph. You may need to write this down or use a calculator:

Think of any date in the last 1000 years

Swap the digits around anyway you like to come up with an earlier date

(For example, the year 1432 can be swapper around to the earlier date 1234)

Now subtract the earlier date from your original date (1432 – 1234 = 198)

Now keep adding the individual digits together until you end up with a single digit

For example: add 1 + 9 + 8, and then repeat until you have a single digit [1 to 9]

Now convert the number to a letter of the alphabet (1=A, 2=B, 3=C, and so on)

Think of any Bible book beginning with that letter.

Now take the last letter of that Bible book, and convert back to a number.

Open that Bible book, and turn to that chapter number, where you will be instructed to write down a specific name. (I’ve predicted the name that you will write down, at the end of this article)

OK, now you’ve experienced a mind trick we can move onto Watchtower’s…

In October 2018, Watchtower released a new book commentary on the Bible book of Ezekiel, entitled “Pure Worship”. Chapter 6, "The End Is Now Upon You", and paragraph 13 (under the sub-heading "Look, It Is Coming!"), makes the claim that the 607 BCE date for the destruction of Jerusalem can be calculated from a prophetic enactment recorded in Ezekiel 4:4-6, where Ezekiel is to lie on his on his left side for 390 days and on his right side for 40 days. Each day represented a year.

The Watchtower publication assumes: "The 390 years of Israel’s error evidently began in 997 B.C.E., the year that the 12-tribe kingdom was divided into two parts." As regards the 40 days, rather than following consecutively, the publication offers a further assumption whereby the two time-spans run in parallel: "The 40 years of Judah’s sin likely began in 647 B.C.E". Rather than modestly acknowledge the uncertainty of that viewpoint, the publication proceeds to invoke divine sanction of it’s interpretation, concluding: “Thus, both time periods would end in 607 B.C.E., the exact year in which Jerusalem fell and was destroyed, just as Jehovah had foretold.*”

Any reader who picks up on the use of “evidently”, “likely” and “thus” – instead of verifiable factual references – might be inclined to calm their queries by the presence of an asterisked footnote (*), referring the reader to a 1988 Watchtower publication (revised in 2015) entitled Insight on the Scriptures; vol.1 p.462 “Chronology: From 997 B.C.E. to desolation of Jerusalem”. Anyone curious enough to read that reference will soon encounter the following admission on page 463:

“The chart is not intended to be viewed as an absolute chronology but, rather, as a suggested presentation of the reigns of the two kingdoms.”

Yes, the writers of that “Bible Encyclopedia”, as Watchtower likes to describe it (w89 3/15 p.10), were very well aware of their own existing research into the difficulties of verifying exact dates for that time period using the Bible. In their 1963 Bible research book “All Scripture Is Inspired of God and Beneficial” (revised in 1990) it too admits (on page 285, par.7) under the heading “Measuring Events in the Stream of Time”:

“From 607 B.C.E. to 997 B.C.E. The calculation for this period backward from the fall of Jerusalem to the time of the division of the kingdom after Solomon’s death presents many difficulties.”

It would seem, then, that like the simple trick at the beginning of this post, Watchtower is using forced numbers and relying on the reader’s psychological bias. The forced number in this case is 997 BCE. Starting with this forced number, adding 390 years would appear to support Watchtower’s unique claim that Jerusalem was destroyed in 607 BCE. From that date, they then take the reader on further mental gymnastics to arrive at…1914 CE and 1919 CE – dates that have become a vulnerable Jenga block, holding up the organizations claim that it’s Governing Body are God’s only appointed channel to mankind; remove that 1914 block, and the rest come tumbling down. Of course, living in the information age as we do, one only has to invest a few minutes researching Rehoboam – the son of Solomon, whose kingship marked the beginning of the split-kingdom – to realize that 997 is a fictional date invented by Watchtower with absolutely no historical, archaeological, or even Biblical support.

In summary, if the reader of this new book was doing so to be entertained by a mathematical trick, then they might consider it good value. If, on the other hand, the reader was hoping to find scholarly insight into a fascinating Bible book, then they may find themselves disappointed by deceptive use of the words “evidently”, “likely” and “thus”.

Oh, that name that you were instructed to write down at the beginning? It’s Maʹher-shalʹal-hash-baz – the longest name in Bible. At least that’s something Watchtower printed correctly…

• Bad_Wolf
    Bad_Wolf

Every instance of "evidently" in WT material needs to be replaced with, "Our next statement of truth and new light is actually us now going beyond the things written, NOT being discreet, and pushing our own dumbass thinking ideas as words from God's mouth that you must obey as if from God's mouth or you're an apostate, and 20 years from now when it's "evidently" wrong we will blame your dumbass for thinking it because we said we are not inspired".

Yes that statement needs to be written over every instance of the word, "Evidently" of all WT literature.

• Darth FayDehr
    Darth FayDehr

Commercial idea: "Evi-dent", the toothpaste so white, it's brighter than "new light"! (*disclaimer: not ALL dentists agree with our research)

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I debated which name you would not guess, but ultimately wrote "Maher-Shalal-Hash-Baz."

I will not bother with the Watchtower Biblical gymnastics, but your point is well received. They baffle with bullshit, and the average baffled member assumes they are brilliant.

• Splash
    Splash

If you replaced *evidently" with "speculatively" or even "hopefully", it would be a much more accurate read.

• the girl next door
    the girl next door

Weird, I came up with Theophilus.

• Darth FayDehr
    Darth FayDehr

Hey Girl Next Door, you've been inspired with Nu-lite!!! Can you share your 2 dates that you used?

• jp1692
    jp1692

I wrote down: Uriah.

Isaiah 8:1-2 - The Lord said to me, “Take a large scroll and write on it with an ordinary pen: Maher-Shalal-Hash-Baz.” So I called in Uriah the priest and Zechariah son of Jeberekiah as reliable witnesses for me.

• jp1692
    jp1692

Think of any date in the last 1000 years: 1111

Swap the digits around anyway you like to come up with an earlier date: No can do!

Now subtract the earlier date from your original date: 1111 - 1111 = 0

• the girl next door
    the girl next door

You couldn’t follow step two instructions to make an earlier date so 1111 is out. Lol

I did my math wrong in my head, but I still like Theophilus.

No matter what date is chosen you will always reduce down to 9 after completing each instruction. (Base ten system)

fun stuff

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit