Watchtower attempts 997 mind trick segue to 1914

by Darth FayDehr 17 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• amiable atheist
    amiable atheist

9th letter = i

Only bible book beginning with "i" is Isaiah. "Isaiah" ends on a h. h is the 8th letter of the alphabet.

Isaiah 8:1 says

Young's Literal Translation
    "And Jehovah saith unto me, 'Take to thee a great tablet, and write upon it with a graving tool of man, To haste spoil, enjoy prey.' "

So, Maher-shalal-hash-baz means "haste spoil, enjoy prey". That's a strange name to give to your child.

• waton
    waton

Maher-shalal-hash-baz

I can still hear The Bachelor Fredrick Franze's shrill voice in Yankee stadium seriously crying out that name, "the children that were given" him or not.

re: reversing the digits to get 9, it is an old accounting trick, if the difference in accounts are 9, you reversed the numbers somewhere. problem solved, balanced.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

However they try to calculate 607 B.C E as the date for Jerusalem's destruction by Babylon matters not, the date itself is WRONG !!!

587 B.C E (or 586) is the correct date as shown by multiple methods, including astronomy !

587/6 makes 1914 wrong, makes 1919 wrong, makes the JW Org look really silly.

And means the G.B of JW's is a self appointed group of Charlatans.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

This is a calculated move by the Writing Department, by putting in a complicated, and very vague calculation for 607 BCE they make JW's take up the " oh it is all too deep for me" position.

The JW's thus take on board that 607 BCE is correct, which it is not.

• fukitol
    fukitol

Very interesting indeed.

So here the WT has worked backwards from their fallacious 607BC/1914CE chronology to arrive at a contrived date with zero secular evidence for when some ancient event purportedly happened, in this case being:

"The Watchtower publication assumes: "The 390 years of Israel’s error evidently began in 997 B.C.E., the year that the 12-tribe kingdom was divided into two parts." "

So what do scholars and secular authorities say as to when the 12-tribe kingdom was divided?

• steve2
    steve2
    Scriptural word and date gymnastics work best with uneducated readers. All others - including those who have critical thinking skills - would not get beyond the first explanatory sentence without thinking these kinds of exercises in chronology are little more than bullshit. But yes, if the chronology is advanced as a “suggestion”, rather than a done deal, educated readers might stay the course.
  • dropoffyourkeylee
    dropoffyourkeylee

Theophilus is a great Bible name. Some commentators believed it was a generic name instead of an actual person, as it means ‘ One who loves God’

• Bad_Wolf
    Bad_Wolf

Here is another way to reach OPs #

https://youtu.be/SNTzOBKs1bA

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit