Have you seen these drawings against medical procedures?

by ILoveTTATT2 21 Replies latest jw friends

• dropoffyourkeylee
    dropoffyourkeylee

The blood doctrine came out of the same minds that placed those images in the Golden Age.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

@ dropoff...

Yup.

Orphancrow's done a bit of digging, and has found hints of racism in the prohibition's origins, too...

...i.e. some of the old-school WT rule-writers were uncomfy about the possibility of getting transfused with "negro" or "oriental" blood.

Shocker, I know.

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

I can confirm that the anti vaccination, anti antiobiotic, and anti physician was a real thing in the JW religion. As kids, we were not allowed to take vaccinations and My father had a JW insired anti medical establishment stance. Getting sick was extra miserable as a JW kid.

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    ILoveTTATT: Definitely antivaxxer. They had that position officially from 1931 to 1952.

I am not sure what you mean about "official" position, ILove. The WT's anti-vax position was evident long before 1931.

For as long as vaccinations have been around, anti-vaxxers were present and the WTS was no exception.

The Golden Age magazine, launched in 1919, gave the WTS a platform to disseminate the medical views of fringe/quasi medical practitioners. The WTS (via the Golden Age) took an anti-vax stance from almost the beginning of the Golden Age being published.

I took some time to skim through the old Golden Age issues with the goal of just posting a few mentions of their anti-vax stance, but once I started, I realized there was far more than just a few anti-vax articles.

This will be lengthy....

The first mention of vaccinations in the Golden Age was in the April 27, 1921 issue with the article How Vaccines Work - G. del Pino, Glasgow. This was a pro-vaccine article and it ended with this statement:

It may be assumed that the success which has
    so far been achieved from the use of these detoxicated
    vaccines represents only the beginning
    of the ultimate possibilities of the- immunizing
    agents in the prevention and cure of
    disease.

That article inspired a flurry of responses in 1921, both pro and against vaccines. The Golden Age first entertained discourse/debate concerning this controversial subject but, after 1922, would only print anti-vax articles.

Sept 14, 1921

Effectiveness of Vaccines by H A Rutschow DC*

* doctor of chiropractic

Vaccination is supposed to make the vaccinated
    immune to some certain disease, or at least
    to allow it to appear in a mild form. The
    big question is, Does it really do this? This
    ' question is a vital one to us and to the future
    welfare of the human family and judging from
    its past the answer is an emphatic NO.

October 12, 1921

The Vaccination Infamy by A M Wilton MD

- anti-vax article - against compulsory vaccination

Doctor Favors Vaccination - by "Doctor"

- correction of inaccurate information in previous article

Science by the Unscientific - L W Putman MD

- another correction of information concerning vaccinations

A Living Death - J J Winzel

- personal testimony about the evils of vaccination

Against Vaccination - W M Pugh

Cured by Serums - Mrs Mary E Burnet

Vaccine Therapy a Success - A Murray MD

Vaccination a Failure - Mrs R Walter Maygrove

Feb 15, 1922

Facts About Vaccinations - G del Pino

- pro-vaccine. This is the last time that the Golden Age printed a pro-vaccine article

* there are 3 or 4 mentions in other 1922 articles about health that are anti-vax statements

Jan 3,1923

The Vaccination Fraud - Mrs. Andrew J Holmes

Jan 17 1923

Animal and Human Vivisection

Is Vaccination Inhuman? - Walter F Moser

- anti-vax article

Nov 7, 1923

More Serum Squirting (no author)

July 30,1924

Facts and Figures on Medical Ignorance - Isaac L Peebles MD

- anti-vax, anti-institutional doctors

-Peebels was an "alternative" doctor (as all WTS doctors were) and came out as anti-AMA

October 8, 1924 - letter to editor

Pittsburgh Fighting Vaccination

The War Against Vaccination in Pennsylvania - Geo F Herde

Vaccination in Czecho-Slovakia (reprinted from the London Daily News)

January 28, 1925

A Joint Declaration of Medical Liberty Rights - by Doctors H M Shelton and B Stanford Claunch

- this is Shelton's first appearance in the Golden Age pages. His treatments and philosophies can be found in later issues, including the images that were posted in the OP

March 11, 1925

What You do When You Vaccinate - F P Millard DO

To have a vaccination scar is a reflection
    on the intelligence. A scar following a
    solicited vaccination signifies loyalty to medical
    superstition. A scar from forced vaccination
    is a brand, a mark of medical tyranny and des
    potism. I would not be vaccinated and take the
    risk of complications for a $10,000 draft on the
    Bank of England. My children have never been
    vaccinated, and I trust never will be. It is up to
    the mothers of the land to take a determined
    stand, and they should quickly end the compulsory
    vaccination of children. Without compulsion,
    the hideous practice would soon disappear

April 8, 1925

When Vaccinations Do Not Take

Sept 8, 1926

The Power of Medical Superstition - G R Clements

May 18, 1927

August 10, 1927

August 24, 1927

What Doctors and Lawyers Think of Vaccination (contributed)

- anti vax rant with various docs and lawyers quoted

January 11, 1928

A Brief Lesson in Vaccination -

April 4, 1928

May 2 1928

Nov 28, 1928

Some Thoughts and Question on Epidemics - Dr B H Jones

- anti-germ theory article and, of course, anti-vax

July 25, 1928

An Unvaccinated Authority on Smallpox - G W Emery

Feb 6, 1929

If the People Ever Wake Up (Peacock court case)

Apr 3, 1929

How Diptheria Antitoxin is Made - Dr George R Clements, editor of How to Live

May 1, 1929

Death by the Serum Route - Herbert M Shelton (the fella who contributed those "cartoons" in the OP)

Vaccination - Dr H R Richards

July 24, 1929

Taxes, Vaccination and Inoculation - Dr G R Clements, editor How to Live

Sept 18, 1929

Nov 27, 1929

Vaccination in New Hampshire

- an article about Albert W Peacock's fight against vax - 6 months jail for refusing to have child vaccinated

an item from article:

April 2 1930

Some Facts About Vaccination - "The facts in this article are taken from The Facts Against Compulsory Vaccination ($1.00), by H. B. Anderson, published by Citizens Medical Reference Bureau, 1860 Broadway, New York, N. Y."

August 6, 1930

Serumization by the State

Sept 17, 1930

Bedbugs and Smallpox

Oct 1, 1930

Oct 15, 1930

Massachusetts Doctors to Assist God

I am sure I missed several references to the evils of vaccinations, in the Golden Age, leading up to "the official position" of the WTS banning vaccinations from 1931 to 1952 . But, it is clear that the WTS was anti-vax all along. The position that they were most concerned with was anything that stood in defiance of the American Medical Association (founded in the 1840s). Many of the Bible Students were practitioners of alternative medical practice - the chiros, osteopaths, naturopaths, etc. were all fighting for legal recognition and the right to practice their brand of medicine and these were the ones who took an anti-vax stance.

As a matter of interest...I am one of the non-vaccinated. If the WTS had lifted their vaccination ban before I was born, that info didn't make it out to rural Canada by the time of my birth and childhood in the late 50s/60s.

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    dropoffyourkeylee: The blood doctrine came out of the same minds that placed those images in the Golden Age.

You are absolutely right, dropoff. The blood doctrine is based on a phobia, not a bibblical doctrine. A phobia of contamination, not based on rational thought. An inherent bias towards the "unclean". A striving towards perfection. By a group of people who believed they were the elite - the chosen ones of God.

vidiot: Orphancrow's done a bit of digging, and has found hints of racism in the prohibition's origins, too...
    ...i.e. some of the old-school WT rule-writers were uncomfy about the possibility of getting transfused with "negro" or "oriental" blood.
    Shocker, I know.
    Oh. Okay...can't remember the reference for that one, but probably correct. I do know that in the early days of blood transfusions there were a lot of erroneous beliefs around the practice. Especially considering the political /religious ideologies prevalent in the 30s/40s, at a time that blood transfusion technology grew in leaps and bounds in certain cultures. And in other cultures, phobias and bias held them back, developing "alternative" practices instead. Anything to avoid contamination of the blood. The WTS' ideology of elitism embraced the blood phobia position - don't contaminate those who have "special blood"!
  • ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

I'm over 50 and I got all my vaccinations, way back then I'm sure there weren't as many as there are today anyway. What were the vax opinions of the Dubs way back then I don't know. They flip flop back and forth, so I guess they didn't care back then or I guess my Uber Dub mom would've been against them.

• ILoveTTATT2
    ILoveTTATT2
    "the official position" of the WTS banning vaccinations from 1931 to 1952 .

Yes, that is what I meant. As in "we now made it "Biblical" and something that all JW´s "should" follow... from 1931 to 1952.

I knew they were antivaxxers long before 1931. In fact, I have the list of all articles and mentions of vaccines... the list itself is 5 pages long!!

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

As many here know, the vaccination thing became a conscience issue when more and more countries began requiring certain vaccinations to enter the country.

Lo and behold, the NuLite button in New York City was pressed and wow, vaccinations were then ok.

Rub a Dub

• ScenicViewer
    ScenicViewer
    ...I have the list of all articles and mentions of vaccines... the list itself is 5 pages long!!

I would like to have a copy of that list - is it published somewhere? Do you have a link?

• sparky1
    sparky1

RubaDub

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit