Watchtower Legal's letter to Dirtclod.com (faxed image)

by Jourles 50 Replies latest jw friends

• Jourles
    Jourles

OK peoples, read the following Copyright Law and tell me your thoughts.

This is taken from: http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/property/library/copyrightact.html#anchor536297 UNITED STATES CODE ANNOTATED
    TITLE 17. COPYRIGHTS
    CHAPTER 1--SUBJECT MATTER AND SCOPE OF COPYRIGHT

Current through P.L. 105-153, approved 12-17-97

s 102. Subject matter of copyright: In general

(a) Copyright protection subsists, in accordance with this title, in original works of authorship fixed in any tangible medium of expression, now known or later developed, from which they can be perceived, reproduced, or otherwise communicated, either directly or with the aid of a machine or device. Works of authorship include the following categories:
    (1) literary works;
    (2) musical works, including any accompanying words;
    (3) dramatic works, including any accompanying music;
    (4) pantomimes and choreographic works;
    (5) pictorial, graphic, and sculptural works;
    (6) motion pictures and other audiovisual works;
    (7) sound recordings; and
    (8) architectural works.
    (b) In no case does copyright protection for an original work of authorship extend to any idea, procedure, process, system, method of operation, concept, principle, or discovery, regardless of the form in which it is described, explained, illustrated, or embodied in such work.

Did you notice what copyright protection DOES NOT cover? Can anyone honestly tell me that the BOE letters fall under category (A)? Would they not fall under category (B)? What are the BOE letters for? What is their purpose? If you read any one of the BOE letters, on any topic, you will find that they fit to a tee a "procedure, process, system, method of operation, concept," or "principle." Do they not? This may be the loophole I have been looking for.

I think it is time I sent an email to Mr. Duquette Jr. asking him to please tell me how the BOE letters fall under Category A above.

• Scully
    Scully

Tread carefully when asking a lawyer to explain the law to you. He may send you a bill.

Love, Scully

• jgnat
    jgnat

So their argument is that these letters are original literary works? Perhaps, they are works of fiction...

• Scully
    Scully

By the way.... since the Statute mentions pantomime and choreographed works.... I wonder if they would rat me out to the originator of the gesture that means sit-on-this-and-rotate, if I used it on them??

Love, Scully

• waiting
    waiting

Isn't the whole point of some of the BOE letters is to put forth the procedures of the WTBTS?

How can they define their inter-organizational memos on application of rules & procedures to be implemented (such as going from pay to free to avoid sales tax) ......or on procedures on how to handle child molesters .....be thought of as "literary works of art?"

If the WTBTS takes the stand that their BOE letters on how to handle child molesters are literary works of art............then it's not a stretch to say those same procedures are fiction.

Please keep us posted, Jourles. You've found yourself in an interesting situation, eh?

waiting

• VM44
    VM44
    "Since one of the above listed wt attorney's is my nephew..."

Did someone post a list of WT attorneys? If so, could someone PM that list to me? Do not worry, I am NOT going to spam anyone, but such a list might be useful to have in the future.

--VM44

• Jourles
    Jourles

Just sent this one off ---

Mr. Duquette,

I have received a copy of your cease and desist letter from my old ISP regarding your request to remove the "Body of Elders"(BOE) letters
    from www.dirtclod.com. Would you be so kind as to state which section of copyright law I am infringing upon by posting these letters on
    the internet?

If I could, I would like to direct you to read this copied portion of copyright law and then please explain which section the BOE letters fall
    under:

UNITED STATES CODE ANNOTATED
    TITLE 17. COPYRIGHTS
    CHAPTER 1--SUBJECT MATTER AND SCOPE OF COPYRIGHT
    Current through P.L. 105-153, approved 12-17-97

s 102. Subject matter of copyright: In general

(a) Copyright protection subsists, in accordance with this title, in original works of authorship fixed in any tangible medium of expression,
    now known or later developed, from which they can be perceived, reproduced, or otherwise communicated, either directly or with the aid of
    a machine or device. Works of authorship include the following categories:
    (1) literary works;
    (2) musical works, including any accompanying words;
    (3) dramatic works, including any accompanying music;
    (4) pantomimes and choreographic works;
    (5) pictorial, graphic, and sculptural works;
    (6) motion pictures and other audiovisual works;
    (7) sound recordings; and
    (8) architectural works.
    (b) In no case does copyright protection for an original work of authorship extend to any idea, procedure, process, system, method of
    operation, concept, principle, or discovery, regardless of the form in which it is described, explained, illustrated, or embodied in such
    work.

This should be an easy choice. Do the allegedly infringing letters fall under section (a) or section (b)? If they fall under section (a), please
    state which category they are classified as.

You may email me your response, or, if you would rather put your response on official corporate letterhead, you may fax your response to
    (XXX)XXX-XXXX. I appreciate your prompt attention in this matter.

I'm not sure if he will respond to me, but I figure if I can at least nail down from him exactly what the classification of these letters are, then I will have that much more to go on.

• Gozz
    Gozz

Good, Jourles. Let them write some more and choke themselves.

The fire a letter to you at that speed! The same hypocrites take half a year to attend to a 'spiritual' matter. Offspring of vipers. Hypocrites.

• Panda
    Panda

What if someone from another country hosted the letters? Like if you put money in an off shore account your assets cannot be revealed? Just a thought.

• Zoewrex
    Zoewrex

http://www.chillingeffects.org is the way to go. They translate your letter into 'English' and seem to help on a number of other issues. Great site!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit