Watchtower Legal's letter to Dirtclod.com (faxed image)

by Jourles 50 Replies latest jw friends

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

lol @ No Apologies

Shame on you... now go apologize to him for that!

• hawkaw
    hawkaw

Copyright laws ....

I thought it was illegal if you were making money off of them.

If you are not making money off them - as is the case here - then aren't you allowed to use them?

Can someone fill me in?

hawk

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Hi Hawkaw,

Money has almost nothing to do with copyrights.

The founders of the US government wanted to provide for the government's support and encouragement of science and the useful arts. That's the original 1787 wording in the US constitution (Article 1, section 8) -

"The Congress shall have power...

To promote the progress of science and useful arts, by securing for limited times to authors and inventors the exclusive right to their respective writings and discoveries; "

So the purpose is not the enrichment of authors, but promoting the PROGRESS of science and the useful arts.

When one considers the vast contribution the Watchtower Bible & Tract Society has made to the progress of science and the useful arts - that is, those things built on reason and objective truth as opposed to metaphysical deception and myth - one can see how appropriate it is for the WTB&TS to benefit from this protection.

It is worth noting that copyrights protect PUBLISHED work, and that a work is "published" for copyright purposes when copies are:

SOLD

RENTED

LENT

GIVEN AWAY

or OTHERWISE DISTRIBUTED

to the public by the copyright owner or by others acting with the owner's permission.

As long as copies are made available to THE PUBLIC, the work is "published" for copyright purposes.

Certainly the exclusively male, exclusively JW elder audience of the BOE letters is THE PUBLIC, no?

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

So they don't want the rank and file to read from apostate sites, but Mother Tower does! How does she know these letters are on your site, unless she has informants?

• No Apologies
    No Apologies

Elsewhere:

NEVER!!!

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Well you see, they have "special" brothers who are very "spiritually strong" who are able to use Jehover's holy spirit to shield themselves from the evil rays produced by apostates and their evil web sites and publications.

Regarding the "special" brothers who leave the organization after said exposure... well, they were never really "spiritually strong" to begin with... they had deceived the organization and are now getting their just due by being condemned by Jehover.

• Simon
    Simon

I suspect they are more concerned about letters because they are what really hang them. It's like the verbal instructions they give where they are instructed not to make notes. They tell what the society really does, far more than the public face in publications.

I wonder if Mr William E Duquette Jr would be so keen to "state under penalty of perjury" various statements from the WTS own website such as "not shunning family members" and other baloney or some of the doctrines that they come out with or some quotes out of their more hidden literature like the child custody book.

Duquette (you don't warrant the 'Mr' pal 'cause I have no respect for WTS officials), go back to your masters and lock the doors. We're not here to do your bidding but to tell the world all your dirty little secrets and lies. Give it up now 'cause you will only focus our efforts and multiply the number of sites and peer-to-peer hosts for stuff like this. You wanna play hosting hopscotch? Come play with us ...

• hawkaw
    hawkaw

Interesting.

As for the definition of public - public means everyone not just a bunch of men.

hawk

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

My point precisely, hawk.

• scumrat
    scumrat

Simon, I've got to say,

You've hit the nail on the head. The double speak of the Watchtower is being exposed for what it is, for the whole world to see. They may try to shut one site down but others will pop up.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit