What Was The Nicest / Worst Thing That's Happened To You as a JW?

by minimus 23 Replies latest jw friends

• Francois
    Francois

Getting out, and getting one elder removed while I was at it, and showing up the rest of them in the process.

• Odrade
    Odrade

Okay, I'm with Minimus here, I'm surprised that there aren't more nice things. After all, the JWs are people, most of them family people--brainwashed or not. They do kind things sometimes, just like anyone else. There's not always an ulterior motive.

I remember one time my Dad and I called on these people in service. We were working one of those dumpy little hotels that are often like the last pit-stop for people who have lost everything. Normally it's just a bunch of old drunks in there. Well this one day, a lady answered the door. She was passing through town with her several children (3-4 of them, all small) in an effort to run away from an abusive spouse. My dad asked if there was anything he could do. The lady asked him for a little food for the kids. just a sandwich or something to keep them going. My dad said he'd be right back. We went down to the grocery story and 1/2 filled a cart with staples and convenience food like cereal, fruit, some pancake mix, sandwich stuff, etc. He spent his whole "allowance" for the week (cash in his wallet) and it was about $50 worth of groceries--this was in the early 80s. We went back to the little hotel, put all this stuff on the porch. He put a bible stories book in the bag for the kids. No preaching, which is pretty restrained for a zealous dub. Then he knocked on the door. The lady came out and started crying. That's all we did.

We never told anyone.

I know there are many stories out there like that. We do tend to focus on our hurt and anger. Personally, I'm starting to try and hold onto the good, nice things. That doesn't mean I'm reaching back for the horrible doctrine of the WTBTS. It just means that I want to remember the good people that I knew and loved, who often did kind things for me. It's a shame they are so indoctrinated that they feel they must curtail their natural kindness when it comes to outsiders, but it does not completely invalidate the kind things they DO accomplish. I know there are many who were NEVER accepted, and endured many horrible things in the organization, and very little good. But I also know there are MANY who came to their senses about the religion but were still sad to be forced to break ties with the good people they know within.

Odrade

• berylblue
    berylblue

Minimus, I'm trying hard but I really can't come up with anything but the flowers. Oh, I was invited to a swim party once, and to dinner a few times.

• minimus
    minimus

Ordrade, your dad sounded like a very good man.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit