Irish Elders deleted by Watchtower for reporting child sex abuse allegation to police

by Diogenesister 23 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Drearyweather
    Drearyweather
    Drearyweather elders are required to inform the branch first about allegations of child abuse before going to the police even though sexual assault is a crime.

So they never informed the WT? Why? Their conscience didn't allow?

They already knew that elders are supposed to inform the legal department first. So if your conscience doesn't allow you to follow this directive, how is it allowing you to continue as an elder in the first place? An elder is bound to come into this scenario one day or the other.

An elder knows that he has to follow the directives in the elders book and the policy letters. If he believes that the procedures are incorrect and inhuman, he has to either resign/step down himself or be ready to be deleted later.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

Well Drearyweather perhaps some people in your religion actually have a conscience and think it's wrong to sexually abuse children. Perhaps they believe they should inform the authorities when a crime has been committed, which is what your Bible says, you should be obedient to the governments because they are placed in their positions by God. Remember the Bible? Or do you just obey those seven men in America?

• tiki
    tiki

Simple. The proper and ethical thing to do when knowledgable of criminal activity is to report it to the appropriate civil authorities. If some group is miffed about it..tough sh!t. Just because a creep has an easy target within the confines of the religious group doesn't preclude the possibility/probability he has gotten his filth on some poor kid not in the religion as well. Criminals should be dealt with through proper channels.

• darkspilver
  • Drearyweather
    Drearyweather
    Well Drearyweather perhaps some people in your religion actually have a conscience and think it's wrong to sexually abuse children. Perhaps they believe they should inform the authorities when a crime has been committed, which is what your Bible says, you should be obedient to the governments because they are placed in their positions by God.

Xanthippe, This is what happens when you try to read what I have not written.

No where have I implied that a person should not report child abuse to the police. I am not discussing the moral aspect of child abuse.

My point is should an elder continue as an elder if he feels that the policies of the WT are not right? Should he go against the directives of the WT and expect no reprisals in return?

Remember the Bible? Or do you just obey those seven men in America?

The answer is very simple. A JW has to do both. If you are an appointed elder, you receive the Shepherding textbook and are expected to read it thoroughly. Regarding what elders are to do, Chapter 2, the two bullet points under main point 1 says:

1. Let the Bible be your guide.

2. Obey direction coming from agencies used by the "faithful and discreet slave"....

There you are. The four elders (including 1 COBOE) have themselves agreed to obey the 'seven men in America'. So if you don't want to follow them, you don't accept the position of an elder. If you accept, you automatically agree to abide by their policies and also agree that the 'seven men' can delete you for non-compliance.

Remember, WT is not a religion, it's a corporation. It has its own rules and regulations. Elders who truly follow their conscience will not continue as elders even after knowing all their policies. You may be a minor when you are baptized, but you are mature enough when appointed as an elder.

The elders in this case have done the right thing. However, they should expect to face the consequences from the WT for not following the policies. That's my point.

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

"By their fruits you will know them"

How true.... The Society is showing that protection of the Organisation is more important than protection of children....

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

I`m sorry but for various reasons I cannot watch a video of an hour or more

Surely it could have been said in 10 or 15 minutes. I appreciate his advocacy, but I think Lloyd likes to hear himself talk.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

The WTBTS sends a mixed message about sexual abuse. They seem to tell congregants that no one can tell them not to report, yet Elders, if they are the first to be contacted, must call the WTBTS.

Then the WTBTS decides who is a predator. ( Holy Spirit???) Methinks they check their secret Pedo-Database before deciding what the Spirit says...

I'm not sure if it works that way, but it would be a good M.O for the WTBTS to follow. All the "loyal" sheeple will go to the Eldubs first, increasing the chances to "wait on Jeehoober."

DD

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

Also, I would imagine the GB/Lawyers dread that list becoming public knowledge.

How many "non-predators" are sitting in the congregations, with perhaps just one "sin" against a JW child on their record? Meanwhile, they could be "sinning" all over "worldly" neighborhoods....

DD

• nowwhat?
    nowwhat?

Hey lloyd!! Can you keep your videos to 1/2 hr. At the most! Just like the watchtower study it doesn't take an hour to make a point

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit