Bank and ATM's..

by zeb 12 Replies latest jw friends

• zeb
    zeb

I went to the ATM to get out my housekeeping and budgeting money. ($650) This covers large bills and everyday shopping for food etc.

Made the withdrawal and as I fumbled my wallet the ATM took the money back. A bank staff member was present helping another customer with the other ATM and saw this. So its go inside and fill in a form and wait the pleasure of the bank until the company that runs the atms does a check and .."IF" (sheesh!) they find the imbalance then the money will be returned to me.

This is another of the common lunacy where an integral aprt of an org is run by another org. The reaction of the staff was acute embarrassment and the reaction to my inquiries "possibly 25 calendar days"... wtf! "Possibly" its all electronic it should be instant! to calling the banks head office is leaving me uneasy as to the outcome.

Is Australia the only place that has grab it back ATM. I had no idea this could happen. The bank could have a simple sticker saying "cash must be taken within XY seconds or it will be withdrawn".

• moreconfusedthanever
    moreconfusedthanever

Wow! Thanks for sharing. I didn't know that could happen either. Nwhat an inconvenience.

• Anders Andersen
    Anders Andersen

Afaik almost all ATM everywhere grab the money back to prevent theft in case a person really forgets to take his money.

Of course the ATM will record that it took the money back, and make a note on your transaction. Quite likely the bank could see right away that your withdrawal was cancelled.

I guess HQ just wants to check these cancelled transactions to prevent fraud.

For example, I know there used to be a scam where one could carefully take only the middle bill(s) and wait for the ATM to swallow what's left, unaware of the missing bills. The person would still get the whole amount credited on their account.

Today they probably match your cancelled withdrawal claim with any accounting differences in that specific ATM after they refill it. And that would mean waiting for the regular refilling schedule....

• zeb
    zeb

AA.

thanks for you input.

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Safer to keep your money under the mattress.....😳

• darkspilver
    darkspilver

zeb: Is Australia the only place that has grab it back ATM. I had no idea this could happen.

As per Anders Anderson's post above...

It's been happening for like forever....

HSBC joins RBS in refunding forgotten ATM cash

BBC News, 27 December 2012

HSBC said it would automatically refund money left in cash machines since May 2005, although the process would not be immediate.

Notes are sucked back into a machine if the user fails to take the cash within 30 seconds.

This could occur, a bank spokesman said, if customers had been distracted.

The bank has paper receipts that allow it to work out whether people have missed out.

Both HSBC and RBS changed their policies in January 2011 so notes that failed to be collected were automatically refunded to an account.

Previously customers had to claim the money back when they realised they had failed to collect the cash.

Now the banks are working with the UK Payments Council, which oversees payments strategy, to install a system that automatically refunds those who lost money for as far back as records allow.

READ MORE: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-20851832

zeb: as I fumbled my wallet the ATM took the money back

Maybe wallet fumblers shouldn't use ATMs - perhaps in future you should go to inside to the bank counter where a member of staff would be able to help you.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

Hi there Zeb sorry this happened to you....it's called a " purge" in the UK and has happened to me 3 times! It was the same ATM at a Barclays bank branch and only on one occasion did I "fumble"( or rarther my kids did). Fortunately it was only £20 each time. The one time I was using that particular banks debit card( Barclays) I received the money back.

But on two occasions I was using another banks debit card ( Santander) and I didn't receive the money back. I hope you get it back asap.

As if they're not rich enough already!!!

• JaniceA
    JaniceA

I WISH it would happen at the self checkout lines. I always forget there and I never had anyone return it. Twice losing money convinced me not to use them. The atm took my card and credit union issued me a new one immediately.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

If somebody uses an ATM they better grab their money and not dawdle or get distracted.

Until the banks in the U.S. can get a handle on the skimmer fraud situation, I will go inside the bank to a teller. And I'd never use one of those stand alone ATMs in convenience stores.

I don't feel it's my job as the customer to examine and feel-up the ATM machine to see if it has a skimmer attached. I'm not dealing with it.

• jws
    jws

Banks piss me off. So much is electronic and instant now, but they still have us waiting so long for anything to happen.

I've seen places where just using an ATM costs like $3.00. They have the audacity to charge us for using it. The device that allowed them to cut payroll for countless tellers. And has almost wiped out checks, which also tended to involve personnel keying in information. So whether we pay another dime of an ATM fee, they're saving money. Yet it's another way to nickel and dime us.

It doesn't surprise me that it's going to take a while to process a refund. My guess is they want to draw it out as long as possible. Right now, that money is in their bank and it's theirs to use.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit