the Remnant

by Esse quam videri 17 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

The book of Revelation is ''figurative''.

Could be a misinterpretation of the Bible. They seem to jump from figurative to literal then back to figurative. It doesn't work that way.

• dropoffyourkeylee
    dropoffyourkeylee
    Remnant essentially referred to the remaining pre-1935 anointed whose number was dwindling through the 60's to 80's. They are all dead now practically, incidentally proving the doctrine to be a joke.
  • careful
    careful

Blondie to the rescue—as usual!

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

", out on "the work" as we called it"

lol--that takes me back 50 years.

didnt all congregations back then have one of the remnant ?

like a length of surplus carpet.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

Here's the problem with the word "remnant." It means a left over quantity, that's it. If I have 144,000 cookies, and eat 44,000, I have a remnant of cookies. I now have a smaller number of cookies, but quite a few are left.

The WTBTS likes to apply "remnant" to anointed who are located at HQ, just like "anointed" conjures up the GB in the minds of sheeple. That's really the whole point of the WTBTS interpretation, consolidation of power.

The WTBTS doesn't seem to understand that the "Little Flock" is only small by comparison to the "Other Sheep." ( Notice I did not say, " Great Crowd of Other Sheep " because that is a made-up term. ) So.... there is nothing to lose and everything to gain by changing the 144,000 to a symbolic number. It buys time for the GT to occur, and it is still unknowable, and can be small when compared to the "Other Sheep."

Imagine Bullet-head Splane at the 2016 AGM......

"So evidently, the 144,000 is a symbolic number that will be filled according to Jeehoobidoob's time-table. When will that happen? Soon! Let me introduce the newest members of the Governing Body! ( Applause as GB Helpers fill the stage!!!) Now, let's all sing "Listen, Obey, and be blessed!!! NOW STFU AND DONATE!!!!"

DD 😇

• steve2
    steve2
    I had wrongly concldued it was no longer used in jw publications. Thanks for citing all those references.
  • LisaRose
    LisaRose

It think it was used describe those anointed who were around before they introduced the idea of the earthly hope. It was probably assumed they would all be gone by now, the word remnant implies the end of something, so it's sort of an embarrassment that they keep getting new anointed ones, they aren't really a remnant anymore are they?

• Esse quam videri
    Esse quam videri
    Thanks blondie.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit