the Remnant

by Esse quam videri 17 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Esse quam videri
    Esse quam videri

When was the last time anyone recalls hearing the word 'remnant', in meetings or conversation? Is it something still discussed? [I haven't attended in 20 years, so no idea]

When I was young we had one of the 'remnant' in our congregation in Burnaby, B.C. When I was 15 my mother asked me to temporary pioneer [or was it vacation pioneer?] for a summer, to encourage Br. Harold Franske, one of the 'remnant'. I went in service with him just about everyday. [ The only thing I can remember from that summer was him showing me how a good janitor puts a curve in a broom handle, over time, by bearing down hard. "That's how you really clean a floor. Pushing hard on the handle. That makes the broom head sweep better." He had a janitor business. He showed me the broom handles in his work van. They had curves in the handles.

Anyway, I would come home and think, " Wow! He's one of the 'remnant'. I'm working with one of the 'remnant'."

I can just imagine Governing Body member Mark Sanderson speaking with awe about the 'remnant' when he was younger. Now he are one. Must take the awe away when you are one yourself. Especially working with the likes of Morris lll and Lett.

• prologos
    prologos

With increasing partaker numbers, the remnant, leftover, will become the majority, perhaps before the planned overlapping "gathering to heaven" aka rapture in 2075 *.

* based on the life of G. Gangas, GB member that died in 19196.

• DwainBowman
    DwainBowman
    It's still in use, maybe not as often, but used!
  • smiddy
    smiddy

The way the figures keep increasing year by year the Remnant will someday become the Majority .

smiddy

• EyesOpenHeartBroken
    EyesOpenHeartBroken
    I only hear JWs over 60 use that term...I don't believe it's been used in WT printed material for some time. Probably because the number of those partaking is no longer relevant to the "new light" on calculating when Armageddon will happen. 🤔
  • DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

They are probably phasing it out. That's the WTBTS's standard operating procedure. The concept will slowly recede into the back of the JW collective consciousness and then, "WHAMM-O!!!!" Nu-light!!!!

After all, why keep saying remnant when the 144,000 will be revealed to be a symbolic number? It's inevitable. Guy Pierce is dead, Gerrit is probably next. TOMO is about ready to have a coronary by the looks of his waist-line. Jacko will probably die in the sack, God bless him... Lett will probably die of auto-erotic asphyxiation or glue-sniffing. Splane seems the type to die of drowning because his weenie gets lodged in a hot-tub jet. Herd will probably die on the toilet after a late-night Popeyes binge, even though his small-brained wife begged him not to get the #5 meal.

That leaves Sanderson and the crazy, emotionally/mentally unstable rank&file. The GB Helpers gots ta get anointed....soon!!! The only logical thing to do is to make the 144,000 symbolic.

DD

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

I have not heard the word in a long time either.

Must take the awe away when you are one yourself. Especially working with the likes of Morris lll and Lett.!

I can see the point you are making here...

When I was a lad we had an old bro of the remnant class. He was good, though. I recall bicycling along together, out on "the work" as we called it. His conversation was a constant stream of scripture references , he did not look it up, he knew it - a real Bible buff . He was old-fashioned and a bit stern but I respected him for his knowledge and deep seated love of "The Lord"

• sir82
    sir82

"Remnant" implies a decreasing number, those left over.

The number of "anointed" is growing by leaps and bounds. They'll number 144,000 within a few decades if present trends continue.

• blondie
    blondie

http://wol.jw.org/en/wol/s/r1/lp-e?q=remnant&p=par&fc%5B%5D=w&pg=2

“We Want to Go With You” (‎1 occurrence)
    • 24:31) The Scriptures do indicate that only a remnant of the anointed ones will be left on earth during the last days.

• w16 January pp. 22-27 - The Watchtower (Study)—2016
    • Do You “Love Your Neighbor as Yourself”? (‎1 occurrence)
      • Motivated by love for neighbor, and with the backing of God’s spirit, a small remnant of anointed Christians persevered in the Kingdom-preaching work.

• w15 11/15 pp. 21-25 - The Watchtower—2015

w15 5/15 pp. 14-18
  • You Can Fight Satan—And Win!
  • SATAN is at war with the anointed remnant and the “other sheep.” (John 10:16) The Devil’s goal is to devour as many of Jehovah’s servants as he can in the short time that he has left. (Read Revelation 12:9, 12.) Can we win our fight against Satan? Yes! The Bible says: “Oppose the Devil, and he will flee from you.”—Jas. 4:7.

• Rejoice Over the Marriage of the Lamb!
  • 14 Read Psalm 45:12, 14b, 15. The prophet Zechariah foretold that in the last days, people all over the world would be grateful to serve Jehovah with the anointed remnant. He wrote: “In those days ten men out of all the languages of the nations will take hold, yes, they will take firm hold of the robe of a Jew, saying: ‘We want to go with you, for we have heard that God is with you people.’” (Zechariah 8:23) At Psalm 45:12, these “ten men” are referred to as “the daughter of Tyre” and “the wealthiest of men.” They give the anointed remnant gifts, and they work to receive their approval and their help to serve Jehovah. Since 1935, the anointed remnant have brought millions of people “to righteousness,” that is, millions of people have been taught the truth about Jehovah. (Daniel 12:3) These millions of people, or “ten men,” are loyal companions of the anointed and have cleansed their lives of all false worship. That is why they are called “virgin companions.” They have dedicated their lives to Jehovah and have proved that they are faithful servants of the King Jesus Christ.

15. How have “the virgin companions” worked with the anointed remnant?

15 The anointed remnant have been very grateful to these “virgin companions” because they eagerly help to preach “this good news of the Kingdom” in all the earth. (Matthew 24:14) Not only do “the spirit and the bride keep on saying, ‘Come!’” but those hearing say, “Come!” (Revelation 22:17) This means that the “other sheep” have heard the anointed say “Come!” and have joined them in saying “Come!” to people all over the world.—John 10:16.

16. What privilege has Jehovah given to the other sheep?

16 The anointed remnant love the other sheep. The anointed are happy that Jehovah has also given the other sheep the privilege to share in the joy of the marriage. These “virgin companions” “will be brought with rejoicing and joy.” Yes, the other sheep, who hope to live forever on earth, will rejoice with the whole universe when the marriage of the Lamb takes place in heaven. The book of Revelation describes the “great crowd,” who worship Jehovah on the earth, as “standing before the throne and before the Lamb.” They serve Jehovah in the earthly courtyard of his great spiritual temple.—Revelation 7:9, 15.

• prologos
    prologos
    perhaps the increased number of partaker really are replacements after all? badly needed replacements?
  • Share this

Google+
    Pinterest
    Reddit