What would you say?

by Freedom rocks 40 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Shezzy
    Shezzy

Ephesians 2:8 Saved by faith in Jesus Christ, God's gift to us.

• SummerAngel
    SummerAngel

I agree there's no magic bullet but I did elicit a wonderful confused response when I posed the following question:

If the GB demands something that contradicts scripture who do you follow God or man?

Also, can you give me an example from scripture where Jesus disfellowshiped someone? Linked to this re prodigal son if a person confesses their sins why do they still nerd to sit at the back for a year?

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

2 minutes eh? OK...how about:

Is it possible that your faith is in men and their word and not God and His word. (no, it's in God's word!!!))

1. Can your leaders change what you believe the Bible teaches as new light is revealed to them? (Yes!)

2. Could the Bible ever change your beliefs contrary to what your leaders teach? (No!)

- Then the Bible is not the authority for your beliefs (blah, blah)

- Imagine if I had absolute trust in a Bible scholar and believed everything he told me about

what the Bible teaches; would my faith be in the Bible or the scholar? (???)

P.S. the comeback of course is that if it is not the bible scholar, then faith is in the individuals ability to interpret the scriptures and not the Bible itself. Back to the drawing board.

• kairos
    kairos

How about this?

"Are you still a JW"

"Yes"

" Hahahahahahahhaahhaaaa. Don't you have the internet?
    Hahahhhahahaaaaaaa" < walk away >

• jesscd
    jesscd

I would ask my family members what my grandparents (the ones who came in first) on both sides would think of the religion if they were resurrected and walked into a hall or convention or read one of the publications? Would they recognize it as the same religion? Would they be horrified? Seeing as my grandparents motivation for becoming JW's were they were sickened by the constant money grabbing in their Catholic church and the fact that the priests told them they were too uneducated to ask questions or research anything they didn't understand - I think I know the answer.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

Every time I ask one a question they tell me they'll look it up and get back to me. Not one has ever come back with an answer. AFAIK none of them have left. They have too much to lose if they have to tell their friends and families that they've all been sucked in by a bunch of doomsday nutters.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

I might try do you remember how Mum used to say we would never go to school because the New System would be here long before then? Now our oldest sister is a grandmother. I know you'll say you're not serving Jehovah to any particular date you're serving him forever but don't you need to to be sure you're doing what he wants and not wasting your life listening to people who seem to be guessing and getting it wrong?

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

H.M LoL it brought a smile and a grimace to my face not to mention the pain in my groin

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

I would ask them why they still follow a religion that has a 100% failure rate on predicting the end of this system of things. If any other religion had done the same they would call them a false phrophet, why does the WTBTS get a pass?

• Bugbear
    Bugbear

Freedom Rocks

I think you will have a problem. You see JW,s are not living in a normal world. They are living in a bisectional world called cognitive dissonance. They perfectly know that that the world and humans are much older than the Bible tells them. They know that the various Bible interpretations always have failed…. And yet they prefer to live in the insane culture that tells them they have the truth. It’s giving them comfort, they always have something they can blame it on. Richard Dawkins calls it the placebo pills. A placebo pills actually has no effect but gives the user some comfort and he thinks it is working. Therefore he or she will continue to pay a lot of money just to get his pills every day. And he or she is also always willing to consult a homeopathic doctor and pay every month the costs. This until they discover that they have paid al lot of money for nothing. When that happened even your JW friend might be willing to listen to your arguments. In our world we cannot with solid arguments persuade a person that don’t accept them because we are the wrong source of information…

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit