why I left

by teejay 21 Replies latest jw experiences

• teejay
    teejay

About ten years ago, I started doing research into the JW religion. It took a personal event to make me want to do that for the first time in thirty years. Blindly believing what I was told wasn't working anymore. Taking to websites like Randy's freeminds and a couple others, I was able to get past the current administration's rosy spiel and read for myself what the formers of the religion had actually said.

No matter what crazy beliefs I held at any given time, early on I was taught to respect and honor whatever I knew to be true, even if that position forced me having to stand alone against a school room full of belligerent classmates. Or a full-grown adult teacher. Acknowledging truth had become a habit for me.

So, when personal events conspired to force me to take off my rosy glasses, it wasn't long before I saw how the Society's current writers either where too young to have known the real truth of the religion's history or else they were liars. Either way, I knew -- because I'd lived through it -- that the stuff presented in the magazines wasn't true. Too often, either by mistake or on purpose, the society had re-written its history to transform itself into something it wasn't.

Something else bothered me. Time and again, the Society criticized other churches, notably the Catholic Church. The Society condemned the Catholics for the ruthless way they had treated their members over the years; for the clergy laity class; for their staunch adherence to man-made regulations that tended to supercede a higher law. I came to despise the way it minimized -- even covered over -- its own mistakes while always focusing on the wrongs of others.

For the first time, I saw how hypocritical my religion was. Leaving it was easy.

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

Thanks for sharing, Teejay.

It really is amazing to see the gall of the Writing Dept, isn't it? It reminds me of the saying that when you point the finger, there are 3 pointing back to you! It's only when we're able to stand back from it all that we can start to see the truth about "the Troof".

Cheers, Ozzie

• cat1759
    cat1759

Nice post Teejay.

It is sad that hypocrisy reigns.

At least the Catholic church in Boston apologized for the pedophile priests.

Cathy

• Amazing
    Amazing

Great exit account Teejay ... concise too. The Catholic Church also paid over $55,000 of my medical bills from the heart attack. No questions asked. No requirements to join in approved association ... just simple kindness ...

• teejay
    teejay

>>> It is sad that hypocrisy reigns.

The really sad part about it is that most JWs are decent people who just have a hard time taking an honest look in the mirror. The magazine articles tout a love of truth and a desire to do the right thing, but an honest self-appraisal would force one to accept a different reality. Being as painful as they sometimes are, most people just avoid the process altogether and continue on as though they had nothing to worry about.

I was thinking of a couple of the elders I've known. They would preach about how horrible the Pharisees were but never once saw themselves as Pharisaic. One was my ex-father-in-law... a man so driven by Watchtower policy that he was difficult to be around for even a short time. The other elder was a monster in sheep's clothing. That one served on my judicial committee. Before seeing him behind closed doors, I thought for years that he was one of the meekest men to ever walk the earth. My opinion of him changed after seeing him in full elder mode.

• shamus
    shamus
    Time and again, the Society criticized other churches, notably the Catholic Church. The Society condemned the Catholics for the ruthless way they had treated their members over the years; for the clergy laity class; for their staunch adherence to man-made regulations that tended to supercede a higher law.

Ahmen to that. They are worse than the catholic church, in that they hold themselves to a higher standard. Too bad that they are just as guilty as any religion on this planet.

How dare they accuse the catholics of supporting the world wars, when they themselves supported them too in their own ways. Something that the cult never told and never will tell it's members.

• Prisca
    Prisca
    They would preach about how horrible the Pharisees were but never once saw themselves as Pharisaic.

You know, it's pretty ironic that one of the things that helped me to see the WTS for what they are was studying the Greatest Man book for the 3rd time in our book study groups. That book used to decry how bad the Pharisees in Jesus' time were in comparision to Jesus' teachings. Yet so many of the things they were criticising the Pharisees for, were things they were doing themselves!!! The unnecessary man-made rules, the harsh attitudes towards the flock, the self-righteousness, thinking they alone had God's approval.

• smack
    smack

why? I just didn't believe it. Too simple

Steve

• freein89
    freein89

beautifully articulated and so very true, I have to go put on a hat so I can tip my hat to you. The same thing happened to me, when I realized that it was all LIES, I was out of there no matter what the cost and the cost was very high.

The funny thing is as you stated so eloquently is that they have taught us how and why we should leave and damn the cost. We must find the truth and adhere to it - our lives depend on it. In this case it is our emotional lives we must save, to find the truth and ignore it is to sacrifice our souls, our being, our essence for comfort and security. Cannot, must not do that, ever.

Thankyou Teejay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• minimus
    minimus

Teejay, I think that most people leave because of a "personal event". Do you care to express what happened? If not, I understand.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit