Jehovah's Witnesses face £1m legal bill after young girl was sexually abused by one of its members

by Researchedandenlightened 27 Replies latest jw friends

• carla
    carla

Not to get off topic but, "It said he was not an employee, acted as "little more than a tidier-upper" after church gatherings and had no responsibility at all for child welfare, its lawyers argued."-- a ms is 'tidier-upper'? is that what they think of their 'servants'? I wonder how current ms' feel about this label?

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter
    The MS role is like that of an interning teacher. They are fully expected to take on those roles and prepare for them. They are called on to do a lot of things that elders normally do if there is a shortage and they are the only ones that will be "promoted" to elder. That is like comparing the role of the custodian to the teacher, and in any case, the WTS knew of abuses years before and sat on it. I don't care if he was a pimply faced 16 year old! They knew that there was an abuser and SAT on the information. Idiots.
  • Virgochik
    Virgochik

What Cofty said. When these standards are applied to future cases, and to appeals of previous cases, a pattern will emerge of negligence, and of just not giving a rat's fanny. That will be enormously expensive. 😁

• joe134cd
    joe134cd

I guess by this judgment it stands to reason why they are prepared to part with 4k a day in order to not hand over their records. They are down shit street and they know it.

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Well, Sophia and Caleb had better keep donating their ice cream monies to the contribution boxes, cos these penalties are a piling up!

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

Now you know the REAL reason they are taking the money, and printing, out of the UK and moving it around.

• freddo
    freddo

So can they appeal this judgement? If so where would it be heard (i.e. what level of court would it go to?)

• bemused
    bemused

freddo - this case had already been appealed by the WT. I believe that their only recourse now would be the UK Supreme Court. That would however be expensive (if they lose) and potentially high profile, which I'm sure they would hate. The problem they have though, as Cofty has noted, is that if left unchallenged the current case will establish certain legal precedents, which can then be used by lawyers arguing in future cases. A tricky call then for the WT leadership and legal team.

• stillin
    stillin

Maybe I'm naive. Maybe gullible. Or maybe cynical, more likely. I get nervous when something from 30 or 40 years ago is dragged out for public consideration.

My wife creates "memories." Several years after the actual occurrence, I barely recognize her account of it. She is not lying. She just lets it develope inside of her head.

plus, there are a world-full of gold-diggers, ready to hop on any bandwagon that looks promising. This adds high-octane fuel to their stories.

yes, I agree that local congregations have been perfect hunting grounds for predatorial perverts. All are so trusting and giving each other the benefit of the doubt. The elders think they can read hearts. Positions of responsibility are available to those who play the game well.

everybody rushes to judgement.

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    stillin: I get nervous when something from 30 or 40 years ago is dragged out for public consideration.

Good thing you aren't a lawyer, then! :)

If you think you get nervous, just consider how nervous those victims are - and how much pain and suffering they have endured for 30 to 40 years. And THEN to have people doubt their experience...an experience that they have re-lived each and every day for decades

Thank goodness not everybody gets nervous about the past....thank goodness there are lawyers and judges that don't have a problem with their nerves

If anyone deserves credit for dealing with nerves...it is the victims themselves. The victims who have to prove that they were violated so long ago...so long ago...years and years of suffering

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit