Jehovah's Witnesses face £1m legal bill after young girl was sexually abused by one of its members

by Researchedandenlightened 27 Replies latest jw friends

• Researchedandenlightened
  • CMorrison
    CMorrison

Thanks for posting this. Definitely sharing this on my Facebook. How awful she had to go through year's of abuse. Doesn't seem they are getting away with this one.

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

The article has confusing dates.

The abuse happened in 2000? Or over a period of 5 years in the 80's and 90's?

Poorly researched article, in my opinion.

edited: Ok, reading again I think I understood: The victim first reported the abuse to her mother in 2000 when she learned that the perpetrator was to be released from prision from a previous conviction of child molestation. Nevertheless, the article is written in a confusing way.

Eden

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

that will do nicely. lets hope more victims come forward.

• Saltheart Foamfollower
    Saltheart Foamfollower

As someone who knows a victim, I'd like to say that while I agree with the sentiments being expressed here, I don't hope that more victims come forward because I'd rather there weren't any victims. Of course, if there are more victims, I would whole-heartedly want them to come forward and help expose the borg.

Note - I am not implying wrong motives to anyone here, I just wanted to make things plain.

SF

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

It's rather shocking that, in order to receive an indemnity of 270.000, the legal fees amount to 1.000.000 !! Ridiculous.

Eden

• Mephis
    Mephis

Ridiculous that the WBTS forced the survivor to go through both the initial trial and then wait on an attempt to appeal. All because they refuse to accept that they have a duty of care and responsibility. Yet again a British court has pointed out the blazingly obvious to them. Caesar will not allow the men in Brooklyn to thumb their noses at the law just because they're a religion.

• Listener
    Listener

As a ministerial servant he was considered just a tidy upperer and he wasn't employed by the org. They have such little respect for their slaves when it comes time to pay for their misdeeds.

• redpilltwice
    redpilltwice
    From the article:

Lord Justice Floyd said it was "fair just and reasonable" to order the church's governing body to pay compensation.

Dear Lord, please open the eyes of the righteous ones. I'd say: Let it come and...

• cofty
    cofty

Lord Justice Floyd said...

1 - Stewart's relationship with the church was "akin to employment" and his role as a ministerial servant put him in a position of trust.

2 - His official status gave him "ostensible authority to have unaccompanied access to children".

3 - Church elders had also failed to take reasonable steps to protect children in the congregation in 1990, after suspicions were raised that Stewart had abused another girl.

These are very important legal principles that will come back to hurt the cult again and again.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit