Are there disadvantages to knowing the 'truth' is a lie?

by WTLies 19 Replies latest jw friends

• WTLies
    WTLies

There was a character in the Matrix who, after being released from the Matrix, got tired of the real world and wanted to have his memory erased and his body put back in the factory so as to live out his days in a dream world.

Have any of you ever wished you didn't know what you now know about the WT, or wish you could go back to the life where you had a sure hope and belief as to what the future would bring without your current knowledge about the 'truth'?

Being 'unplugged' does have it's disadvantages. In my opinion it is a terrible thing to loose faith and belief in a power greater than ourselves. I've lost that, I no longer believe in anything related to religion.

What do you think? Are there disadvantages to knowing the 'truth' is a lie?

William,

Former member of a Non Prophet Organization

• jst2laws
    jst2laws

WTlies,

Well, yes. Some develope communication problems.

Does the above mean something?

Jst2laws

• badolputtytat
    badolputtytat

Yes Wt Lies... the Matrix exists in wtbs.... (i figured it out) But find no similliar disadvantages to being 'unplugged'....

• onacruse
    onacruse

Ha! Boy, am I getting good with a computer. LOL

Translation:

There was a character in the Matrix who, after being released from the Matrix, got tired of the real world and wanted to have his memory erased and his body put back in the factory so as to live out his days in a dream world.

Have any of you ever wished you didn't know what you now know about the WT, or wish you could go back to the life where you had a sure hope and belief as to what the future would bring without your current knowledge about the 'truth'?

Being 'unplugged' does have it's disadvantages. In my opinion it is a terrible thing to loose faith and belief in a power greater than ourselves. I've lost that, I no longer believe in anything related to religion.

What do you think? Are there disadvantages to knowing the 'truth' is a lie?

Craig (of the "so proud of himself" class)

• Inquiry
    Inquiry

I think the saying "Ignorance is bliss" kinda sums it up for me... when I was so convinced that it was the "truth", I was happy, but it was a pipe dream... I was happy at the expense of living in reality... how's that for matrixy... lol...

Now, that I'm not deluding myself, that innocent, naive, trusting conviction is gone. In it's stead is a healthy determination not to be hoodwinked again... I prefer the latter. But that's me.

We all have to grow up sometime...and loss of naive innocence is part of the process...I look at it kinda like any MLM now... getting tricked into making other peoples pocketbooks fatter, no matter the promises made is like being sold a car that doesn't work... it's a rip off, plain and simple...

Inq

• Gopher
    Gopher
    wish you could go back to the life where you had a sure hope and belief as to what the future would bring without your current knowledge about the 'truth'?

In a word, "no". Because that "sure hope and belief" would be locked in, and I would be locked in to a blatant lie. I don't want a false hope.

I'd rather live with a degree of uncertainty, like many or most of the rest of humanity. I'd rather not have a false sense of security along with the possible sense of smugness/superiority that "faith" in a falsehood can bring.

I certainly want to be educated as to what the realm of possibilities are. But as far as needing to have the future "cast in stone", I think not.

• qwerty
    qwerty
    onacruse beat me too it!

Being 'unplugged' does have it's disadvantages. In my opinion it is a terrible thing to loose faith and belief in a power greater than ourselves. I've lost that, I no longer believe in anything related to religion. What do you think? Are there disadvantages to knowing the 'truth' is a lie?

Yes and no!

Yes - I am glad I woke up from WT teachings, I hated having that I am better than thou attitude toward "worldly" people. The WT society + other religions who believe they have the Truth, have made a new class of people who think they are better anyone else.

No - because I have lost all my friends that are still active JW's. My best friend is still very much still on the merry-go-round, all though if I bump into him he will chat but thats as far has it goes. The JW community still talk to me, I even get asked out to get togethers and I have been to them. I always feel the odd one out, especially when they start with the WT lingo - Oh boy does that sound cultish and strange! My wife is still in, she's so busy going to work, field service and meetings I hardly see her.

Qwerty

• Gadget
    Gadget

Definitely. If I didn't know how much of a lie the truth was I'd be able to get reinstated so I could see my girlfriend again, But knowing how much of a lie it is I can't see a way to be able to do that unless I can manage to 'unplug' her which at the minute is looking very unlikely. If I hadn't known how much of a lie the truth is we'd probably be getting back together now instead of looking like we're going to split permanantly.

Gadget

• willyloman
    willyloman
    In my opinion it is a terrible thing to loose faith and belief in a power greater than ourselves. I've lost that, I no longer believe in anything related to religion.

Ona:

I know exactly how you feel, but my take on it is a little different. I'm exploring how people retain their faith and belief in a higher power without all the trappings that the WTS attached to it. I have no profound discoveries to share, yet, but I keep searching. Recently I went to RF's Commentary Press and read some of his essays. If you haven't done that, I think you'll find he went through the same sort of soul searching we're doing now, and he came up with some pretty good answers. Take a look.

• micheal
    micheal

Actually I'm as happy as plum pudding on a raspberry tart that this isn't the truth!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit