'Strange' Australian Melbourne Baptisms

by darkspilver 34 Replies latest jw friends

• compound complex
    compound complex

In The Poisonwood Bible, the pastor who took over the foreign mission had no clue about the natives and their culture. He was impatient and unfeeling. He became angry with them for hesitating to get baptized in the river -- crocodiles!

Or was it alligators?

• William Penwell
    William Penwell

I recall 40 years ago before they built their Assembly Hall locally when the society would just rent out a local theatre. They had some sort of an old cattle trough they would bring along and set up for baptism. As a matter of fact I think that is what they used when I was baptised some 40 years ago.

• darkspilver
    darkspilver

"I'm wet with salvation!" (see from 2.30 onwards)

Baptize Me from the musical Book of Mormon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXx6mci5Ylw

• steve2
    steve2

I think they baptised 500 or so this way at the Melbourne International in 2014 - see photos in OP

That sounds like an incredibly high number of baptisms when the trend in recent years is fewer and fewer getting baptized.

• darkspilver
    darkspilver

Hi steve2

I think they baptised 500 or so this way at the Melbourne International in 2014 - see photos in OP

That sounds like an incredibly high number of baptisms when the trend in recent years is fewer and fewer getting baptized.

yeah, sorry about that

I believe the final count was 695 baptised in Melbourne and a total of 986 with the linked conventions over that weekend

It was an international convention with around 70,000 in attendance - it was HUGE MASSIVE - biggest attendance at the venue in Melbourne etc etc

(That seems about right percentage-wise - I understand that year London had an attendance of around 50,000 and 359 baptised - actually London had so many they continued to baptise people through the opening talks of the Saturday afternoon session

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit