Time, times and half a time - nerd time

by Anony Mous 27 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• PetrW
    PetrW

@EasyPrompt

I think that the interpretation of "time, times, and half a time" to be a 3 ½ year stretch (according to the parallel texts in Revelation) says nothing about why the writer of Revelation used the term in the first place and whether the unit of time "time" (καιρος) means "year".

All that is certain is that the term "time and times and half a time" does not exceed 3.5 years. Whether "times and times and half a time" is also exactly 3.5 years or a shorter period is not yet refuted/confirmed.

If he wanted to write of the woman in Rev 12:14 as being in an eschatological "wilderness" somewhere for 3.5 years, then he would have directly used that time span - cf. Rev. 11:9 where it says that the dead bodies of the two prophets lay literally "three and a half days", so he could just as easily have written "three and a half years" - or he could have chosen a unit of time, perhaps 1260 days or 42 months. But he deliberately and relatively lengthily writes out a "banal" time figure, and in a few words. He must have had some special reason for doing so. But the interpretation that it is 3.5 years does not explain that reason. From my point of view, he was referring to the same passages in Daniel - which is obvious - but as to the interpretation of what these complicated time figures mean, that interpretation, there in Daniel, is also not to be found. I am offered the hypothesis that "time and times and half a time", is a shortened expression of "a week and 62 weeks and half a week", but since the interpretation of Daniel is, in my opinion, extremely demanding, I evaluate it for myself only as a working hypothesis...

Another way of describing the 3.5 year problem is to convert "time, times and half a time" into 3.5 years, and to retroactively derive a length for "time" from this time "transaction". This is prone to error.

Granted that it may be a year, but it may just as well be a week or a month: if the interpretation of "times and times and half a time" works with the time period "year", then it is equally permissible to interpret that another unit of time can be used - derived from astrophysical phenomena (week, month) or even from other domains. If the NT writers applied the term (καιρος), for example, to the period of Elizabeth's pregnancy (Lk 1:20) or to the time period of the grain "harvest" (Mt 13:30), then the time unit "time" (καιρος) must be evaluated in this respect as well. And no one has done that yet and neither have I 😊 . Yet for centuries we have all, out of convenience, copied from one another. It will be necessary to step out of our comfort zone (yuck, what a disgusting expression) in order to move on (yuck, yuck, that's the other disgusting word cliché 😊 ). It's time for a change, EasyPrompt!

• EasyPrompt
    EasyPrompt
    "It's time for a change, EasyPrompt!"

I believe in change, PetrW☺️...

The time for the WTBT$ and other religious institutions is up -

For the times they are a-changin'.

Then it's the UN's appointed time for tyrannical stuff -

Those 3 1/2 years the angels will help us.

(Regarding the Times A-Changin'😉The Bard said it best...)

"Come gather 'round people

Wherever you roam

And admit that the waters

Around you have grown

And accept it that soon

You'll be drenched to the bone

If your time to you is worth savin'

And you better start swimmin'

Or you'll sink like a stone

For the times they are a-changin'

Come writers and critics

Who prophesize with your pen

And keep your eyes wide

The chance won't come again

And don't speak too soon

For the wheel's still in spin

And there's no tellin' who

That it's namin'

For the loser now

Will be later to win

Come senators, congressmen

Please heed the call

Don't stand in the doorway

Don't block up the hall

For he that gets hurt

Will be he who has stalled

The battle outside ragin'

Will soon shake your windows

And rattle your walls

Come mothers and fathers

Throughout the land

And don't criticize

What you can't understand

Your sons and your daughters

Are beyond your command

Your old road is rapidly agin'

Please get out of the new one

If you can't lend your hand

The line it is drawn

The curse it is cast

The slow one now

Will later be fast

As the present now

Will later be past

The order is rapidly fadin'

And the first one now

Will later be last

For the times they are a-changin'."

At the end of that time God's Son's Kingdom will stand

We'll rejoice in the love there and walk hand in hand

For tyranny then will be gone from the land -

Yes, the times, they are a-changin'.💞

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cjz4I6pJ010

😘🫶💖

• Rattigan350
    Rattigan350

Why is the times of the Gentiles discussed on a Jehovah's Witness board as if discussing it will change history and God's plan?

It's like these ever recurring topics of beards and birthdays.

• EasyPrompt
    EasyPrompt
    "Why is the times of the Gentiles discussed on a Jehovah's Witness board as if discussing it will change history and God's plan?"

Because Jehovah does have witnesses and He wants people to know what is about to happen. And because He has love for the exjw community.

Regarding the 3 1/2 times: The WTBT$ didn't get it right. Neither did all the fancy scholars. Jehovah can use even the lowliest and despised ones to proclaim the truth. He is showing His love for us, that He is not partial.

Matthew 11:25-30

"At that time Jesus said in response: “I publicly praise you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because you have hidden these things from the wise and intellectual ones and have revealed them to young children. Yes, O Father, because this is the way you approved. All things have been handed over to me by my Father, and no one fully knows the Son except the Father; neither does anyone fully know the Father except the Son and anyone to whom the Son is willing to reveal him. Come to me, all you who are toiling and loaded down, and I will refresh you. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am mild-tempered and lowly in heart, and you will find refreshment for yourselves. For my yoke is kindly, and my load is light.”"

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

Its like: how many beans make 5 ?

( 1 bean 2 bean bean n half and half a bean )

• PetrW
    PetrW

@Stan

Good point, Stan! I'll just tweak it a bit: how many jars of beans, and several jars of beans and half a jar of beans, do I need to have to have 3.5 kg of beans? If a jar will hold 1 kg, it's easy. But, what if it doesn't? And what if those "several jars" of beans, may not be just two, but may be more?

• EasyPrompt
    EasyPrompt

HaHa, @stanlivedeath!

The beans in this song are for you, and the beards are for @Rattigan. Cheers and no tears!🫘😁🎶😉

https://vimeo.com/533314624

• EasyPrompt
    EasyPrompt

@PetrW, the 3 1/2 years may be a stinky time, but it too shall pass. OK, Go! 😆🎶😁

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qybUFnY7Y8w

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit