Is the religion of Jehovah's Witnesses really an inferior form of Christianity?

by nicolaou 96 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Clambake
    Clambake

I believe on the day of Pentecost in the book of act that Gods people became the church instead of the nation of Israel but in Romans it says god isn’t done with the Jews.

I really don’t have a lot of time right now but basically the run of the mill evangelical mumble jumble.

The biggest lie the devil wants you to believe he isn’t real. I visited the holocaust museum as a kid. You don’t face that type of evil and question things. How the fuck could another human gas children all day. It was a factory of death.

Just my two cents.

• Landy
    Landy

You can point at all the different world events you like - none of them either prove nor disprove a theist God, or a devil come to that.

For you to ascribe them to a god or to a devil is only indicative of your state of mind - nothing to do with reality.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat
    There is a philosopher, was it Levinas, who argued the holocaust was proof of God. More interesting than it sounds but I forget the details.
  • Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

You don’t face that type of evil and question things.

Mankind has been slaughtering himself thousands prior to the Holocaust for pretty much the same reason, survival.

• Fisherman
    Fisherman

I think our conscience must play a part in how a person defines Christianity as I believe we are individually responsible before God.

Uncantnome Being held responsible for taking correct measurements with a ruler does not entitle a person to define the ruler ( how long should an inch be .)

• cofty
    cofty
    The biggest lie the devil wants you to believe he isn’t real. I visited the holocaust museum as a kid. You don’t face that type of evil and question things. How the fuck could another human gas children all day. It was a factory of death. - Clambake

All it takes is for a bunch of people to believe that certain propositions are true.

Have you seen the torture devices that christians came up with during the inquisition? They believed that the heretic was actually going to spend an eternity in hell therefore anything was justified if it might save their soul.

JWs believe they will live forever in paradise therefore letting a child die is logical.

Islamists believe killing kaffir is Allah's will so flying planes into skyscrapers is logical.

Nazis believed they were building a utopia and that Jews were inferior therefore genocide was necessary.

Evil is very banal

• cofty
    cofty
    You can point at all the different world events you like - none of them either prove nor disprove a theist God - Landy

That isn't true. Natural disasters proves conclusively that the god of christian theism does not exist.

• cofty
    cofty
    Call yourself a Christian? Then the Jehovah's Witnesses are still your brothers and the rest of your journey is still in front of you - Nic

I agree 100%

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome
    Fisherman are you a JW?
  • Laika
    Laika
    In James Fowler's book 'Stages of Faith' he describes spiritual development in a set of 6 stages.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stages_of_faith_development
    JWs are required to get stuck at somewhere around stage 2 and 3, accepting 'us vs them' paradigms and avoiding paradox. Maturing beyond that is seen as 'falling away' or worse 'apostasy'. This is of course very common in many religious institutions, but there is, I believe, a more mature way to practice Christian faith, away from the dogmatism and dualism of JWism and similar churches towards contemplation and compassion.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit