Ozzie's Weekend Poll #58

by ozziepost 21 Replies latest jw friends

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

G'day all,

How's your weekend going? Fine weather here in Oz with bright blue skies and very cool nights - it's mid-winter.

Mrs Ozzie and I have been feeling a bit jaded as a good friend and colleague died last week and the funeral was on Friday. Events like this leave you a bit...well, you know, low. We heard about the death of poster Jemimah during the week, actually the same day, so it was a "double whammy". Still, just this aftrenoon (we call it "arvo" here in Oz) something 'nice' happened. A kookaburra appeared in our backyard. A rare event indeed! It surprised us how big it was - just like a big cat. It just sat.....and sat. Unfortunately a magpie swooped and attacked it on the side of the head whereupon valiant Mrs Ozzie went to its defence! Then she left a large slice of best bread on the fence for it and a large slice of ham. She's nothing if not generous, our Mrs Ozzie! Delightfully, it then flew to our washing line and then right up to our back door. The intrepid Ozzie took his camera and using his long lens took aim. I hope it was in focus! The photo is in landscape and I hope it comes out OK.

Anyway, now's the time for reminiscing, for sharing etc, so how's about our weekend polling session?

I thought this week we could focus on the Borg's claim that it alone is a "spiritual paradise" inhabited by a "loving brotherhood". So this week's question is:

Amongst the dubs, how often were you invited out for a meal?

1. Often (at least once a month)

2. Sometimes (at least once each six months)

3. Occasionally (once a year)

4. Never

So, we're looking forward to reading your responses, and don't forget.........

Enjoy.

Cheers, Ozzie

• smack
    smack

twice in 21 years

Steve

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

Steve,

Maybe we should've had another category - once in ten years!!!!!

Thanks for sharing.

Cheers, Ozzie

• Vivamus
    Vivamus

Ozzie and Mrs. Ozzie

Actually, I was invited quite often, two three times a week. I was popular

-

And the world shall tremble in the wake of the Blue Bubblegum
    Dutch District Overbeer

• Maverick
    Maverick

The invites seem to be in proportion to any events happening in my life. Example, when all was fine, never. When I was going through a divorce, after each meeting. Once the ex got reinstated,at first ,every meeting, then never. It appears they just wanted the low-down on what was happening and once they got it, they were done with me. Maverick

• rocketman
    rocketman

Maybe once every six months.

We went through a period where we had jw friends over almost once each week. That got to be tiring though, and was seldom reciprocated. Of course, when one invites people over, one should not do it with a view to being reciprocated anyway, so it was no biggie.

Actually, the jw lifestyle keeps people so busy, it's hard to have dinners and get-togethers.

• blondie
    blondie

I would say about once every 6 months.

It is in proportion to your perceived spirituality and importance in the hierarchy. When I was a single female publisher, once a year. Older people and single parent families....almost never unless they band together and have get-togethers.

Like rocketman, we invited many over and few reciprocated (although they did invite others over). We just weren't on their A list.

And as Maverick mentioned, I went through a time period where a roommate of mine was having serious problems in the congregation, boy, was I popular then, they just wanted to pump me for information.

I did not factor in hospitality when my husband was the public speaker.

And the brothers and sisters in the congregation do have others over on a fairly regular basis (1-2 times a month). You just have to be in the right clique. Towards the end of our attending meetings, we were in such a clique. Widen out is just a phrase that JWs hear but do not practice.

Blondie

• berylblue
    berylblue

maybe once a year at best

• Mulan
    Mulan

It cycled for us................but usually it was: 1. Often (at least once a month)

• gumby
    gumby

1. Often (at least once a month)

Usually more than that as there was nothing to do in the small town I was in for most of my dub life.

Gumby

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit