How did you learn the truth about the truth?

by Iamallcool 33 Replies latest jw experiences

• Hopeless1
    Hopeless1

For many, many long years I made excuses for them, comparing them to the ancient ‘renegade’ nation of Israel who were still considered God’s people right up to messiah’s coming in the 1st century.

Then came two Jehovah’s Witness suicides in a few months, (different areas)

That, was the finish for me…

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

LAMALLCOOL:

It was a culmination of many things, but that 1995 changed teaching on Generation made me decide I had to get out of the JW religion.

I planned my ‘Fade’ and occupied myself going online and reading their hidden history. I uncovered a mountain of information that was shocking and validated my experiences. I also read ‘Crisis of Conscience’ which was a real eye opener.

My ‘Fade’ was made easier by the bad attitudes and unfriendliness I got from people in the religion because I had a full time job..But, it was worth it to be shunned by these idiots because I’m Retired now.

It was a breath of fresh air to finally be FREE and to pick up where I left off before I set foot in the hall and fell down a rabbit hole.. Good riddance!

• Longlivetherenegades
    Longlivetherenegades

Trying to refute and write a rebuttal on Raymond Franz 2 books about the JW organisation.

I got into what was bigger than what I thought. I was out 2+ years after.

• Jazzbo
    Jazzbo

I was always fairly cynical about the "Truth" and being something of a student well aware of doctrinal inconsistencies but what really did it for me over time was observing the very much non-Christian behavior by many who occupied positions of responsibility and prominence as well as the abominable and unjust way many innocent people were treated. I can understand doctrinal error, it happens, what i cannot understand or accept is systemic behavior, hypocrisy and absolute refusal to admit error that have no place in Christianity

• JohnKG
    JohnKG

I've read about Raymond Franz on Wikipedia.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I walked into a Christian bookstore and picked up a book called “Awake! To the Watchtower” out of curiosity. I read it all in one go the same day. It’s not a terribly well researched or well written book. But perhaps the most influential on me in my life.

I quickly read everything in the library on JWs after that: James Penton, Ray Franz, Edmund Gruss, James Beckford, Alan Rogerson, Andrew Holden, Timothy White, Stevenson, and more.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

I worked out that something was wrong before I dared to venture on the net or read opposing material. I had been faithful for decades, but time was passing by. I could not see how the world could enter the 21st century if the time scale was right. I was troubled also by the teaching that all non believers would die at Armageddon. That just seemed wrong.

I was sat at my desk at work one break time just mulling things over. This time I dared to think the unthinkable, “ Suppose it is all just not true?”

That was it . An epiphany moment and I never looked back.

• Biahi
    Biahi

I always just wanted to be a “normal” person, celebrate holidays, etc. I never wanted to be “evil”, like they claim all worldly people are. Drugs, sex with anyone and everyone, stealing, etc. when I moved out, I decided I would rather be dead (at Armageddon) than to continue doing things I hated to do, like field service and constant meetings. I felt as though I wasn’t really living. After I was out, I discovered TTATT.

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

Here is Mark Jones' reply

I was a 100% devoted Jehovah’s Witness. So much so that I had read literally every Watchtower book and magazine I ever heard of. I even began to work my way through old Watchtower and Awake! magazines. I got as far as the stuff printed in 1956 before I left entirely. There is no one reason, but actually a cumilation of reasons that just piled up to make it impossible to stay in the religion:

• Elders interfering and policing your life. Religion is supposed to be one’s relationship to God. Not people invading your privacy and checking up on you and encouraging members to snitch on eachother. I had elders visits for things that wernt even in the bible like questioning a Watchtower doctrine, growing a beard and even leaving a job I didn't like. If i didn't tell the elders the reasons for anything I did they’d get suspicious and visit my home for “a chat”.

• The lack of any real love. Considering that I belonged to a worldwide family all unified in the same belief, I had no friends. The congregations are full of social cliques and you’re not allowed to have friends who arnt Jehovah’s Witnesses. For the JW’s reading this who insist that there are not social cliques - it’s very likely that you’re in one and that’s why you dont see it. You’d be hard pressed to find any elder that imitate Christ, the brothers that do dont get appointed as elders for some reason. Any love you may receive is totally conditional on the basis that you’re a fellow Jehovah’s Witness. Should you stop attending meetings or leave the religion for any reason you’d find yourself actually shunned by these people - family included.

• It’s impossible to leave the with your reputation in tact. This was something that bothered me for years. Why were Jehovah’s Witness leaders so afraid of ex-members? Even ex-members who were kind, happy, successful and had bore no ill feelings against the Watchtower society? They’re so afraid of Jehovah’s Witnesses talking to ex-members, why? If you have “the truth” what’s to be afraid of? Surely anything a defector or a liar has to say can easily be refuted with truth should it not? The only way to leave is to commit some sort of “sin” and get disfellowshipped, or inform them that you’re no longer a Jehovah’s Witness. Both cases result in the complete shunning of the person who leaves. This includes your family. Mothers shun their children, children shun their parents, brothers shun their sisters. And then the Watchtower society has the audacity to claim that the person who left is the one who broke up the family!

• Information withheld from members. We all knew that the elders get letters and information that us regular members dont get to see. But it wasn't until 2 years before I left that I learned that the elders have their own secret book that everyone else arnt allowed to read. It’s called Shepherd The Flock Of God, (if you google it you’ll find a PDF online). In this book it gives many reasons for which someone can be disfellowshipped which most people are not aware of. It tells elders NOT to tell a person that they can appeal twice a disfellowshipping decision. It tells elders that if someone is inactive and turns up to a judicial committee then they can take them turning up as them acknowledging the authority of the Watchtower society and you can disfellowship them. This would result in that persons JW family ten shunning them even though they haven't identified as a JW for many years. Also, the Watchtower magazines say that a person is only disfellowshipped for an unrepentant attitude, but the elders guidebook says that even if they are repentant that have to be repentant enough to convince the elders in the judicial committee. And on at least one occasion I sat in on a judicial committee where one elder said “we can see you’re repentant, but we must disfellowship you to set an example to others”.

• The religion is simply not true. There was a book published by a former Jehovah’s Witness Governing Body member called Crisis Of Conscience (there’s a PDF online if you look for it, and it’s on amazon). Throughout the book he reveals - with evidence - things that went on in the organization since it’s inception and the scandals that were covered up. Some things I was aware of as a JW but only knew half of the story, the other half of the story is quite shocking and revealing. After reading that book and seeing the evidence and checking it with Watchtower’s own publications there’s no way I could stay a Jehovah’s Witness and call myself an honest man.

When an honest man is proven wrong, he either stops being wrong or stops being honest. - Anon.

How do I feel about the Jehovah’s Witnesses? I love them. I genuinely wish no harm or ill toward any of them. It’s the Watchtower society that I take issue with. Jehovah’s Witnesses dont know that they’re being manipulated, kept in the dark, used and lied to every day by their leaders. The very fact that they’re not allowed to talk to ex-members or read anything that criticizes the Watchtower society shows that the Watchtower society knows it’s manipulating it’s members.

It’s my hope that more people will evaluate and investigate their own religion and go where the evidence takes them.

• StephaneLaliberte
    StephaneLaliberte

My first exposer to the TATT was at age 9, in the revelation book, they were boasting about how conventions in the 1920s were the accomplishment of prophecies about the trumpets. That was the first time I started to question everything that came out of the Watchtower. I still rationalized a lot of things and stayed until I was 35. But the point is that I did not trust the Society from that day forward.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit