When You Were A JW Did You Really Understand The Religion and What You Were Getting Into?

by minimus 25 Replies latest jw friends

• Bungi Bill
    Bungi Bill

Smiddy,

You have a PM

• Corney
    Corney

Baptized in 14, I think I did know what I was signing up for.

I knew the teachings, rules and consequences of disobeying. I think only very few baptized JWs didn't know them - but that surely doesn't make shunning less unethical.

I totally misunderstood the religion but I knew all facts necessary to conclude that JW belief system is illogical and self-contradicting and that its practices and policies (discouraging critical thinking, promoting blind obedience, self-isolating, devaluing all "worldly" things etc.) are unhealthy. All the facts I needed were in WT literature, speeches, in my congregation etc. All I needed were broader perspective and few critical thinking, not "hidden truths" and "exposed scandals".

I understand why other people have different opinion and even partially agree with them - but only partially.

• Bungi Bill
    Bungi Bill

Hi Corney,

I thought I knew what I was getting myself into at age 17.

But then again, we all know what Thought did!

• minimus
    minimus

What amazes me is when people who have education and means and have experience in life, decide to become one of Jehovah’s Witnesses. I know of a cardiologist who became a Witness in his late forties.

Why??

• eyeuse2badub
    eyeuse2badub

I was raised in the religion so I didn't need to understand it or even believe in it. All I had to do, like so many of us here, was accept it and "go along"! It was our family religion right or wrong! but mostly wrong!

just saying!

• minimus
    minimus

Eye... kinda like any other religion a person is raised in!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit