When You Were A JW Did You Really Understand The Religion and What You Were Getting Into?

by minimus 25 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

Many Witnesses in my opinion know nothing about the religion. They don’t understand the history, the doctrines or the Bible.

Many people become JWs because they were raised as Witnesses so they take the plunge.

Did you understand what you were signing up for???

• LV101
    LV101

I did not -- had no idea it was a corrupt publishing/real estate co. or I was just stupid! I liked all the woo, resurrection of dead loved ones and promises about a safe, perfect, cuddle-cubby world.

• blondie
    blondie

I took the WTS at its words. My family did not take all as gospel but stayed. I finally realize that the WTS/GB talks about both sides of its mouth and actions speaker louder than words.

• minimus
    minimus

Blonde, I think your research sunk the Organization for you

• zeb
    zeb

I did not.

If the wt had been open and revealed its mistakes and capricious changes first up i would not have got involved.

It was and is devoid entirely of humility.

• Still Totally ADD
    Still Totally ADD

Took the plunge at the age of 16 and of course being a born-in I knew it all. Not! Even when I was a elder it was hard if not impossible to understand it all. When I was in it chaged every other year. Now it seems to chage every other month. How could anyone know with this cult what they are signing up for? Still Totally ADD

• Tameria2001
    Tameria2001

I was only 4 when mom joined, and the whole time growing up she convinced me it was the truth, got baptized at 17. At 32, I decided to really dig into it and finally saw for myself what I really got myself into. So my answer is, I did NOT know what I was getting involved with until after they caused damage to my life.

I did a really good job typing this with one hand while holding a very active baby in the other arm.

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow

Born in.

Didn't have a choice. Didn't know what choice even meant. Didn't sign up. It was done for me.

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW
    Born in. Didn't have a choice. Didn't know what choice even meant. Didn't sign up. It was done for me

Ditto

• cleanideas
    cleanideas

I was born in and at 16 one of my friends was going to get baptized and was excited that he would be able to hold the microphone during the Watchtower study. I was a bit jealous so I decided to get baptized as well so I could also hand the microphone to people during the meeting. Never knew at the time it was the worst mistake I'd ever make. Been shunned by my whole family now for 16 years. WOW!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit