Why the JW org should fail.

by Half banana 21 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Half banana
    Half banana

Dr Margaret T Singer, a professor of psychology at Berkeley University California has studied the experiences of 700 cult members. ''Consciously and manipulatively, leaders and their trainers exert a systematic social influence that can produce great behavioral changes,'' said Dr. Singer.

One of the ways The JW organisation exerts so much influence over its members is because it has created a culture sustained by constant propaganda, which polices itself according to how the leadership has moulded it. Do you remember being a JW? One of the favourite subjects of conversation was to discuss the boundaries of what was, and what was not acceptable.

Let me give you a vignette showing the level of idiocy to which the Watchtower has sunk. About four years ago I steeled myself to view the JWTV and saw governing body member Tony Morris whose aim on this occasion was to decry “critical thinking”. The lack of critical thinking is the common objection to Watchtower indoctrination by its critics. Morris’s argument, if you can call it that, was that to examine a subject from different viewpoints was in itself “manipulative”! It takes very little education to see the crass illogicality of this comment but alas! JWs are discouraged from getting more than the minimum of education and worse still, they are made to feel socially compelled to believe what the organisation says “whether reasonable from a human standpoint or not".

“The systematic social influence” as Dr Singer called it, reached into every aspect of your life starting with defining approved people (those who believe the governing body) and the doomed outsiders (everyone else). It reached into what you said, what you thought, what you would wear what you did in the bedroom and virtually into every pore and molecule of your being. This is one reason why it is so hard to leave Jehovah's Witnesses and adopt a normal healthy viewpoint again. The other obstruction to making an easy exit is the threat of further social manipulation due to being shunned by your 'loving' family.

Surely an organisation which functions with these oppressive constraints should fail? The Watchtower cult has been predicting the end of the world since 1879 and never has had the slightest flicker of success, just a list of dire disappointments weathered manfully by the hapless membership.

The world is rapidly changing, we are vastly more informed and consequently are able to make balanced judgements ourselves, the old guide lines are being discarded and will leave 19th century Bible literalists like JWs as an appendage of religious history. The internet is giving access to a transparent appraisal of the workings of everything, including abusive and anti-social cults.

The JW organisation has no record of “divine” approval, it has lost credibility with repeated date failures, most especially the “generation of 1914”, it is intellectually bankrupt, the Bible is no longer seen by the majority as the ultimate guide for life and JW dirty washing is now being aired in public.

The JW organisation therefore is poised to fail?

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Basically, it's a cult and the internet will further expose it's ways.

• Hairtrigger
    Hairtrigger

“...is poised too fail?”

The membership consists of quite a few college educated people. When these desire to remain indoctrinated and believe in the infallibility of the mutton-headed leadership coupled with the “exclusiveness of their membership “ being divinely intentioned and selectively drawn by some diety they will continue to believe and exist.

Unless there is a concerted effort by the mainstream media and others to expose the cult and reveal the true nature of its dogmatic bigotry JW and its membership will exist. Because there is always those who believe in an afterlife and for them this is the ticket to the movies!

Dont get me wrong The internet has gone a long way in damaging the cults image but a lot still remains to be done before we see the fall of this monster!

• _Morpheus
    _Morpheus

SHOULD fail or will fail...? Big difference. On “should” fail, nobody will argue that. On WILL fail...? That will be argued.

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

It should and would fail if it were only about truth, facts, logic, reason, accountability, but as you have touched on already it's not. Many JWs don't care whether there is proof for this doctrine or evidence for that claim they just want to be part of a group, a community of people who think the same, talk the same, walk the same, dress the same, love the same "God" and hate the same things. Some people like being told what to do, what to think and how to feel or not feel.

On that basis it may never fail.

• EverApostate
    EverApostate

Even with the Internet, I don't think cults would die soon due to various reasons.

There are always people who are terrified about death and so insecure in life, that they force themselves to believe in this after life nonsense that these cults provide abundantly.

I personally know several Computer buffs in the Org who are too afraid to research about the WT.

• sir82
    sir82

JWism has a strong emotional appeal among many if not most of its adherents.

All the "logic" in the world is pretty much utterly irrelevant when such strong emotions are involved.

So long as the WTS fulfills the emotional needs that its adherents cling to, it will exist in some form or another.

Smaller, less money, less influence, fewer adherents? Sure, absolutely.

But "fail", in the sense of disappearing? Not in the lifetime of anyone on this forum.

• James Mixon
    James Mixon

Fact and trends..Global trends impacting religion in 2017 and beyond. (1) The world is becoming more religious.(2)Atheism is on the decline (really) (3)Christianity is growing but not as fast as Islam (4) Literacy continues to expand, by the year of 2017 8 in 10 global adults will be able to read. One of the most common assumptions is that religiosity is linked to economic and technological underdevelopment, as a society gets more technologically and economically advanced, the thinking goes religiosity naturally fades away and is replaced by more secular worldview. So it seems that the WT will be around for awhile, unfortunately...

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

I don’t think the cult will fail just adapt as it has done in the past. I was listening to an interview with a former westboro Baptist Church member. Even in more extreme cults like this members just stay in despite all the pressure and this cult gets way more pressure then the JWs. These cult members are not nearly as isolated as JWs are because they want to see and hear what everyone else is saying so they can respond. Yet even with all this exposure to the out side world they still stay.

The members that do leave are said to be evil or mislead by Satan loosing all credibility with the other members. So if an extreme cult allowed to be exposed to way more info the the JWs is still surviving then the JWs will survive to.

The only good thing to take out of this is in extreme cults it usually just the kids that are raised in it stay members.

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010
    Why the JW org should fail.

Thank you for sharing, interesting thoughts. May I inquire, what would it mean to you if it fails? What would it mean to you if it doesn't fail?

I wonder if one thing or another happening will change your thoughts and feelings towards them, and why if that's the case.

I ask because I believe that detaching from that organization (TO ME) is not having any changes in any feelings, decisions or anything else for that matter regardless of what their fate is. Big success or big failure coming from that organization don't speak to me one way or another.

Would it make a difference? Should it? Why?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit