Reading the Bible in 6 months isn't "anything to brag about" - Anthony Morris

by mac n cheese 29 Replies latest jw friends

• sir82
    sir82

Anthony Morris emphasizing that "you're better off reading one chapter (of the Bible) and really absorbing it" than just reading the whole thing "as a challenge".

How utterly bizarre.

If someone were to slowly read and meditate on what the Bible says, in context, without applying the superficial WT filters, they would very quickly become "apostate" or atheist or both.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Taking the reading a chapter and absorbing the information farther, why not try reading Genesis chapters 1 to 3, and then asking if this god, joke-hova, really is superior to Satan. Who had to use fear to prevent people from doing something? And, when they did it anyways, did they automatically die? Or did they end up being like God, just as Satan promised, only to have joke-hova throw a temper tantrum and curse them?

And, why would joke-hova put curses on us for disobeying something like that, because that thing is afraid that, if we had freedom, it would not be able to use us as energy sources? Let's think of that, and see how long this taking a bit at a time will last.

• leaving_quietly
    leaving_quietly

They've said, "Read the Bible daily" for years and years and years. A few years ago, when I started waking up, I was like: "Challenge accepted." And I read it. Not just to read, but to do exactly what Mr. Morris said, really absorb it. This was a huge launch into me no longer believing JWs had the truth.

That said, the organization has members way too busy to read the Bible and really absorb it. Thus, the majority will not do so.

• WingCommander
    WingCommander

Rubber-faced Lett's talk is a real kicker as well. Talking about "imitation Christians", "Brazen Conduct," etc.

What a buffoon!!

• macys
    macys
    Before I got baptized I was forced to read the whole Bible by my father and because I wanted to make them happy I did. I read it from cover to cover in less than a year. Reading it was on the best things I did because now I have no doubt that the Bible is nothing but a book written by misogynists, narcissists, bigots, goat herders high on power trips and abuse and that the old testament is nothing like the new testament. Finally, this book of bloodshed and insanity ends with a man who was high as a kite, eating scrolls, cutting his beard into little pieces and writing the craziest fantasy ending of all time. Stephen Lett can go fuck himself.
  • GodZoo
    GodZoo
    Nor is claiming to be the only true religion and God's prophet...
  • Londo111
    Londo111
    As a JW, I was amazed how many JWs had never read the Bible cover to cover. How can people purport to be an expert (at least relative to the people they are supposed to be educating) on a book they've never read?
  • steve2
    steve2

He presents a false dilemma and concludes you are better off reading one chapter of the Bible and really absorbing it than just reading the whole book as a challenge.

Why are these two mutually exclusive?

Couldn't I set myself the challenge of reading through the entire Bible over a specified period of time and, as I did so, ensuring I am thoughtfully aborbing it?

Isn't that possible with an active, inquiring brain?

Only a dullard speaking to other dullards would turn this into a dilemma and propose a simplistic solution.

• Lieu
    Lieu

JWs don't like the word "challenge". It has too much of a likeness to the word "competition" in their minds. Ya know how they feel about that.

If you were to stick the word "goal" in his bla bla bla, then reading the entire Bible would become acceptable; whether you absorbed it chapter by chapter or book by book.

It's all about choosing the acceptable word in that world.

• eyeuse2badub
    eyeuse2badub

Reading the bible at all is nothing to brag about! Greek mythology is much more interesting than Hebrew mythology!

just saying!

eyeuse2badub

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit