What defines a "Woman of Color" in Today's World?

by RubaDub 28 Replies latest jw friends

• TD
    TD
    ....TD........ If Greta Thunberg ( a 16 year old makes you afraid) and this is the best attack you can come up with........ your a punk too....... I don't deal with punks. It's just more human crap floating in a toilet bowl that needs to be flushed away.

A little touchy aren't we?

How is offering the correct spelling of the young lady's name in any way disrespectful?

• Justaguynamedmorph
    Justaguynamedmorph
    How is offering the correct spelling of the young lady's name in any way disrespectful?

How dare you!

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

White = European, or European descent.

Person of color = someone who is non-white. It could be an African guy, a mixed-race person, an Indian, a Chinese person, an Arab, an Abbo, etc.

• TD
    TD

Things get confusing when it comes to Portugal, Italy, Spain, Greece, Turkey, Albania, Armenia, etc.

Ultimately, the term falls apart for lack of consistency.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

White = European, or European descent.

@LUHE ...

As TD put it, Europe is a very large place. So much of Europe contains people that we once used to call "olive or Mediterranean skinned" meaning white with a nice rub of olive oil and lay in the sun for the afternoon. Very attractive to many people.

The same with Africans. Africa is a large place. You can be an African-American from Egypt or Morocco in the north, Nigeria or Congo in the middle, or have British roots and be from South Africa (and play a lot of golf).

As has been mentioned, with transportation what it is today, people tend to be more homogeneous. Even in my case, grandparents from northern Europe, me here, and I marry a Columbian who has two grandparents from Spain. Her grandmother was whiter than a bed sheet with pitch black hair, not uncommon among Spaniards.

I guess the whole "color" thing may be less of an issue as we all eventually get "tan".

• jwleaks
    jwleaks

While not dealing with the so-called ‘colour’ of people, it is worth considering the article “Are Black and White Colours?” by software developer, Adobe, which stated:

“Some consider white to be a colour, because white light comprises all hues on the visible light spectrum. And many do consider black to be a colour, because you combine other pigments to create it on paper. But in a technical sense, black and white are not colours, they're shades.”

https://www.adobe.com/au/creativecloud/design/discover/is-black-a-color.html

• LV101
    LV101

Great points, Anna Marina, and I agree. I was determined to just be nice to the 'not alls' but have learned to RUN from them especially if a commission is involved. Sorry, I can't help it and wasn't going to lie re/my JW status when being 3rd degreed. If any of them needed aid I'd do my share w/out hesitation - they're human beings.

I was amazed decades ago in Mexico the very pale/fairskinned younger gals (my age at time) with very dark hair - same almost-ghost coloring/hair (if not so) as I. Normal in Spain (and blondes) but so many of Mexican descent have the darker skin-tones - or ones I knew in the US -- obviously not all.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

The very act of trying to define people by the colour of their skin is a Racist endeavour.

We are all Humans, any differences, be they cultural, religious, political, biological, skin colour, or simply what group of Humans you come from, really do not matter, unless you are a Racist.

If it matters to you to define people that way, take a long hard look in the mirror, and then change your World view.

• DwainBowman
    DwainBowman

Every body is a person of COLOR!!!!

But we're all one RACE!!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit