Beards- just told by an elder

by dothemath 19 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• blondie
    blondie

Each congregation BOE can decide for their own congregation only. They cannot impose it on other congregations. Exception: if an elder with a beard is assigned to give a talk at a congregation that does not allow beards for their men to have, that speaker may not be able to give the talk at the other congregation if he has a beard. So far, in the US I have not heard that a speaker on the platform assembly etc. has had a beard. Might be different in Europe.

• hybridous
    hybridous

Good.

Another (very OPTIONAL) division-causer.

They deserve nothing less.

This works against their 'UNITY-AT-ALL-COSTS' narrative. Wait 'til some 'HEAVY' gets disrespected...

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister
    St George of England Here in the UK in our congregation there are several brothers who have a full beard and are used to give talks, other meeting parts and prayers etc.
    Back in the 1970's in another part of the country, I had a beard and never had any problem. Maybe a case of having to use what you have, cannot afford to be too choosy!

George

St. George Yes my JW best friend's father had a real "Santa" beard....pretty messy. He converted in the 70s after his wife got involved (always felt he did so to protect his family more than anything). I remember them arguing about his beard because after a few years the elders asked him to cut it off and he refused. He said it was bonkers because he'd always had a beard!

I think they really wanted him for an elder because he had the perfect witness family, was as an aircraft engineer and test pilot, so he was Uber useful - could make and design.anything. literally.

Kept the beard and worked behind the scenes doing the books and heading up building stuff.

If they need you enough...you get to keep the beard.

They need baptised males at the moment.

• My Name is of No Consequence
    My Name is of No Consequence

I remember in the early 2010's, I showed up to the meeting with a heavy 5 o'clock shadow. I had mic passing duty that night. I was told that I couldn't pass mics. I didn't go to too many more meetings after that.

• Gorb
    Gorb

So glad, don't use my time for this typical JW issues anymore.

G.

• BelisemDeBelimakom
  • blondie
    blondie

WTS changed their view on Jesus having a beard WT May 1, 1968 and examining the date the picture appeared a WTS publication can who if it was pre-1968 or post-1968. The long discussion within shows how the WTS never admits they were "wrong.

"● When Jesus Christ was a man on earth, did he wear a beard?—K.A., U.S.A.

Biblical evidence is the most reliable testimony to be found on this question, and a recent careful review of what it says indicates that Jesus did indeed have a beard...long discussion then "Nevertheless, as already shown, it is apparent that Jesus did wear a beard, and so artistic representations of him in future Watch Tower publications will harmonize with the Scriptural evidence to that effect." "apparent" is the key weasel word.

• TonusOH
    TonusOH
    Another (very OPTIONAL) division-causer.

That was my thought as well. It demonstrates the folly of an organization that demands strict, unquestioning obedience suddenly telling its followers to make up their own minds. Most are so conditioned to expect to be told what to do, that they look down upon those who exercise their newly-granted freedom. Imagine creating an atmosphere of resentment and jealousy over something as pedestrian as facial hair.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

I would imagine the WTBT$ relish their control. However, if by allowing beards, they get more money to get sozzled on fine whiskey whilst protecting their like minded child abusers, they'll allow it.

Otherwise, their favourite word is NO.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

What publicatoin?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit