Beards- just told by an elder

by dothemath 19 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• dothemath
    dothemath

I know this subject has been talked about lots over the years, just thought I would share a recent finding from Canada.

While visiting with a group of friends, an elder (don’t recall how the subject came up) mentioned the local body had voted to allow brothers with beards be allowed to give talks from the platform. (It was a very close vote)

The direction given was for each congregation to decide for themselves if that is now acceptable.

So some congregations will be for, and for many it will not.

It’ll probably be a long time before we see any pictures on the watchtower where they’re allowing this though.

• hoser
    hoser

It will be allowed until the next circuit overseer visit. This is a top down centrally planned organization, much like the USSR was.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

You’d think it should be up to each individual to decide.

As a JW, you just don’t appreciate the level of control, and the lack of consultation in decision making, until you have experience of other religious organisations. The other organisation that most closely resembles the JWs for lack of participatory decision making in my experience is the Iglesia ni Cristo.

I remember one time at the KH the local body of elders announced a proposed purchase to the congregation and asked for any comments and questions before taking the vote. Instead of the usual perfunctory agreement as is normal in these situations, some people in the congregation, including sisters, actually asked real questions about the purchase and called it into question. Sensing that the vote might not go his way, the elder panicked and another elder took over the meeting, withdrew the resolution, and said they would return to issue at a later date. The elders convened an emergency meeting and the following week they ‘apologised’ to the congregation for the ‘way the matter was handled’. This time they made it clearer that the elders recommended the purchase and were not really inviting an open discussion about the issue. The congregation took the hint, they had a vote, and the vast majority agreed the purchase. But what I found interesting in the whole episode was how ready and willing ordinary members were to offer their opinions when they believed they were being honestly solicited. For some reason, the congregation had managed to forget a lifetime of training that participatory decision making has no place in the organisation, and acted as if the congregation as a whole was being invited to make a decision.

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

Seems like growing a beard will soon be a conscience matter. But i took a double take when I saw what was behind the changing WTS beard restrictions.

• St George of England
    St George of England

Here in the UK in our congregation there are several brothers who have a full beard and are used to give talks, other meeting parts and prayers etc.

Back in the 1970's in another part of the country, I had a beard and never had any problem. Maybe a case of having to use what you have, cannot afford to be too choosy!

George

• sheol-do
    sheol-do

How is that a united brotherhood?

• NonCoinCollector
    NonCoinCollector

There can't be that many men left and if there is a few that would otherwise be on stage giving a part if it were not for the beard, then good for them. If they had bothered to look at Watchtower's past, it is only because Rutherford didn't want people thinking too much about Russell.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Would not raise an eyebrow around here

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

" Would not raise an eyebrow around here ".

They are a parochial lot, the other side of the Big Pond, Canada not SO bad as the insular, ignorant (generally) USA.

I wore a beard for many years here in the U.K, in the 70's and 80's, while serving as a M.S. and giving P.Talks, home and away. I have a letter from the org. about 74 ? saying that it was a decision for local Elders, and that they cannot make Rules about Dress and Grooming for the Worldwide "Brotherhood" as a whole ! They seem to try to do that though, don't they ?

• Terry
    Terry

Tyrants savor CONTROL but scared Tyrants must appear benevolent.

I think the pressures on all sides are making the GB pick which hills to die on.

Think how stupid and incomprehensible it is to say: "Growing a beard is a matter of conscience."
    Yeah, huge moral issue, huh?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit