Michael Jackson's mom on his disassociation

by neat blue dog 15 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• neat blue dog
    neat blue dog

From an interview with Ebony magazine:

In 1987, he left the Jehovah's Witnesses. There was strong opposition to his "Thriller" video on the part of some Witnesses. Perhaps the controversy figured into his decision to leave. But I don't know that for a fact because I didn't talk to him about what he'd done. I couldn't. Witnesses do not discuss spiritual matters with a person who has disassociated himself from the Witnesses, including family members. But I want to stress that, contrary to published reports, I was not required to "shun" my son. Our relationship is as loving today as it was when he was a Witness. I just can't ask him, "Why, Michael?"
  • Biahi
    Biahi

They don’t hold wealthy donors to the same standards as the lower income people.

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

Not required but encouraged. Do not answer the phone. You may miss news of an emergency or death but what the hell.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

She speaks as though he is still alive at the time of the interview so I guess it is pretty old. If a mother were to speak truthfully now, she could not say that . The screw gets tighter all the time.

• neat blue dog
    neat blue dog

By 1987, the current standard of disassociation equaling disfellowshipping had already been in place for years, starting with Raymond Franz. She also continued association with him up until his death in 2009. News outlets also reported that there was a private JW ceremony for family apart from the public funeral. However it should be noted that the org says a JW funeral can only be conducted for an ex-JW if they were showing signs of returning, and then only of the conscience of the JW conducting it allowed, so obviously any such JW ceremony would be our of bounds organizationally, and refused if it were anyone else.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I think some JWs do interpret it that way, but tend to keep it on the lowdown.

It must be terribly confusing for JWs in this situation because on the one hand there are quotes from the literature that say you can talk, just not about spiritual things, and on the other hand we’ve had recent videos advising not to even answer the phone.

Many JW parents with long term DFed children probably made their mind up a long time ago where they draw the line and tend to stick to it despite vacillating Watchtower instructions.

One of the cruel aspects of shunning practice is precisely that Watchtower have put out ambiguous statements on how to implement it. Because it leaves open the window of hope that some parents won’t take a hard line, and if they do take a hard line it calls into question whether their actions come down to Watchtower loyalty or lack of parental love.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister
    SBF Because it leaves open the window of hope that some parents won’t take a hard line, and if they do take a hard line it calls into question whether their actions come down to Watchtower loyalty or lack of parental love.

Yes, this causes so much pain and resentment.

Strictly speaking she's not wrong though, at least back then. Parents that converted in the 70s will have done so on the understanding that you weren't required to shun family, so even without his wealth she may have maintained contact.

There's so much inequality though: A wealthy child who financially supports their parents will be made an exception, due to the "essential family business" get out clause.

But most of all, being a woman, there's no chance of her having to give up privileges due to contact with a child. It's conceivable a pioneer may be called to account for it - but in my experience if it's a long time pioneer who does the congs heavy lifting in terms of hours, that's unlikely.

• Listener
    Listener
    I was not required to "shun" my son. Our relationship is as loving today as it was when he was a Witness

Given the context, this is an admission that she sees shunning as unloving.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister
    Given the context, this is an admission that she sees shunning as unloving.

Good catch Listener!

• Mum
    Mum

Interesting. Poor Mrs. Jackson, having a son at the top of the world and being conflicted about having a relationship with him.

My mother became a JW late in life -- after she was no longer "able" to go to meetings or out in service. My daughter claims she never believed it, but the JW's visited her often, so that was her motivation. She did not shun me at all. Our relationship was the same as ever. She lamented the fact that I was no longer a JW (when I was, she was against it), but that's the only indication that she was sincere about the nonsense. She was a very social person, so it meant a lot to her to have the dubs visit, which they did quite often. Some of them spent a lot of time with her. They were "wasting" precious time when they could have been preaching!

In your face, Watchtower!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit