''This good news of the Kingdom will be preached in all the inhabited earth FULL STOP''- Matthew 24:14. JW ORG

by ThomasCovenant 27 Replies latest watchtower bible

• ThomasCovenant
    ThomasCovenant

Hi

Only just noticed on the JW Borg home page that Matt 24:14 is quoted with a full stop instead of a comma after the word earth then the closing quotation marks.

Isn't that incorrect?

• pale.emperor
    pale.emperor

I have a suspicion that the JWs are in for some new light in a few years. Perhaps many are starting to realize that the 1914 teaching was built on sand. That maybe armageddon isnt gonna happen in their lifetime.

The convention video about 1975 stated "i remembered that i was serving Jehovah, not a date" (or words to that effect).

Next it'll probably be "paradise is an internal state". Or something like that.

• Bobcat
    Bobcat

Here is how other translations render (and punctuate) it.

• waton
    waton

There was no punctuation in the original text. so:

what watchtower really mean is, that the Good News of the overlapping anointed final (kingdom heirs) generation will be preaching/ be preached and then the end will come. Hope fully for wt by 2075, or it will be another false prophecy point against them.

• darkspilver
    darkspilver

ThomasCovenant: Only just noticed on the JW Borg home page that Matt 24:14 is quoted with a full stop instead of a comma after the word earth then the closing quotation marks.

I suspect, in terms of how you quote, that would be correct, even though there is a sequitur?

BTW, check out steve2's post from last month here:

https://www.jehovahs-witness.com/topic/5954486805725184/key-text-on-jw-org-leaves-out-most-important-part

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Well, based on the now famous comment ToMo3 said at the Annual meeting last week, "we DO NOT preach to save lives, we preach to PRAISE God"

So, it seems the GB have now changed the bibles message and rewritten its main teaching.....

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010

It'll be interesting to learn a little more about ancient Greek punctuation. That's the only way to know about a comma or a period.

I'm neutral about the meaning and writing of the original text, but very clear about that nonsense having no meaning today.

• sir82
    sir82

The WTS quote-mining to isolate and select the phrase that supports their point?

Say it ain't so! This is unprecedented!

Although it is a bit unusual to quote-mine the actual, you know, BIBLE.

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

The end of Jerusalem and temple, not the end of the world.

• steve2
    steve2

Yes, I started a thread on this partial quote a few weeks ago. They omit the part that says, "...and then the end will come."

You'd think that a religion that has long emphasized the nearness of the end would include the full Scripture rather than a partial quote - particularly a Scripture that they claim is central to their work.

BTW, there is no comma in most translations - what JW org has done is only include part of the Scripture.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit