A question for those who still go to the meetings

by no-zombie 28 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• no-zombie
    no-zombie

And it is ... Why do most at the hall prefer to sit at the back and leave front rows empty?

• tiki
    tiki

In my experience its not only kh's but most auditoriums...I guess it has to do with wanting an easy escape route...or maybe some phobia about people staring at the back of your head. There are always a handful of people who actually gravitate to the front...who knows.

• waton
    waton

That applies only to k/halls, not assemblies, conventions, where the rush to get front seats is one of the proofs that this can not possibly be the true [christian] religion.

At the kh, the perspective, overall vision is bad from the very front rows. you look bad snoozing too.

• Londo111
    Londo111

When I was in, it was a matter of social anxiety. I wanted to sit somewhere that was out of the view of the crowd.

• tor1500
    tor1500

Hi...

I think for various reasons...some have children so they don't want to disturb the meeting, some are texting pretending they are following along...late comers don't want to draw attention to themselves, yet they come late no matter what time the meeting is moved to, so if they come late and sit in the back not to draw attention to themselves because deep down that's why they are late so they can draw attention to themselves...so sit in the front...also, sitting in the back you can hold up your hand for a comment and not be called...because you weren't prepared in the first place so why not sit in the back & pretend you wanted to comment...Some sit in the back because maybe they feel guilty about something they think the org. not God but the org. would say is a sin.

Some sit in the back as someone said....to make a fast get away...you know hear the word, then jet....

& of course the real reason....you can sleep in the back, just look down as if you are on you iPad or phone and just doze off...but don't snore...that'll give it away.

Tor

• ttdtt
    ttdtt

Maybe some are waiting to be asked to go to the most honored seats in the front:)

But when you are invited, take the lowest place, so that when your host comes, he will say to you, 'Friend, move up to a better place.' Then you will be honored in the presence of all the other guests.
  • careful
    careful

In addition to the comments above:

1. Less visibility. If you sit in the front, people behind you can see your every move. What little privacy JWs have can be better preserved is you sit in the back.

2. If you want to duck outside for a breather, it's easier done from the rear.

• NotBlind
    NotBlind

If you go to any meeting and the first several rows are empty, it's a good sign that most of the attendees don't really want to be there. I've seen this at business conferences, sales meetings, and JW meetings. Deep down in their hearts, they don't want to be there. They'd rather be at home watching TV, sleeping in, anything but sitting in an ill-fitting suit or dress being lectured to for 2 hours.

If the Tower Slave International corporation actually cared enough about their slaves to make the meetings interesting, relevant, and engaging, people would want to sit 'closer to the action.' But as it is, the meetings are mandatory, and the corporate bosses have no incentive to improve the quality of these twice-a-week sales conferences.

HeII, even most of the elders don't want to be at the meetings. Most of them find an excuse to get up several times in the span of 2 hours, to go to the bathroom, fiddle with the sound department, piddle around behind the counter, talk to someone in the library, poke around at the dis-information board. I even know of one elder who made a comment during paragraph 1 of the WT, went out to lunch, and was back in time for the review box.

It's all about making a show, ya' know.

Almost none of these people really want to be there.

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

Almost none of these people really want to be there.

i wonder what the percentage is--those that dont want to be there...what a rotten indictment of failing religion.

• Sanchy
    Sanchy

even most of the elders don't want to be at the meetings. Most of them find an excuse to get up several times in the span of 2 hours

So true. I for one thought the best part of being elder was that there was always reason to get up and do something during meeting. Made time go by so much faster.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit