What was your trigger to waking up ?

by CovertsadJW 28 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

It was many things:

Reading that the Watchtower had joined the UN, with the excuse in the Kingdom ministry that they needed to use the library. It's not a big deal now, but when I joined back in the late sixties, the U.N. was considered an evil thing. Considering how the religion instructed JWs in Arica to die rather than buy a political card, it seemed weird and hypocritical.

The realization that you could never, ever do enough to not feel guilty and that this was deliberate. You were expected to to preach as much as possible, but the preaching work was ineffective and futile and just a big waste of time.

The complete lack of warmth of caring in the congregation, and feeling marginalized because my husband was disfellowshipped.

The straw that broke the camels back was looking back over my life and realizing that the advice I had been given, to stay in a bad marriage, was really, really terrible advice and had done nothing except make me miserable and give my children a bad example of what marriage could be.

• James Brown
    James Brown

My trigger to waking up was January 1, 1976.

I have been awake regarding the JW's since that date.

• dbq407
    dbq407

Not one thing here either, but getting df'd really did open my eyes. I wish every JW could have that privilege. To see how shallow friendships really are and the lack of love is really sad. One day you can talk to me, then next day nothing. And all because a couple of control freak elders say so.

Also the hypocrisy. The same friends who would no longer talk to me, were also doing things before i was df'd that would have gotten them in trouble, but being in a close knit group of friends, their secrets were always safe with me and the others.

And the way they talk down so badly about non witnesses and other religions really is disgusting and arrogant. Not sure how anyone thinks that is ok. Research also helped to seal the deal that they are not the true religion and all they use is fear and guilt to control the flock. They say they are the happiest people on earth? Ha! no one was ever really happy at meetings or service. They were happiest when meeting was over and after putting in their obligatory saturday morning service hours.

• snugglebunny
    snugglebunny

Group study. Reading the societies interpretation of the prophesies of Ezekiel and thinking to myself "Why am I devoting all of my life to an organisation that dwells on these manic fantasies."

So I left.

• Londo111
    Londo111

• EverApostate
    EverApostate

Also to add one more, I was advised to donate to the WT instead of helping the poor and needy. Man, that sounded very rude to me.

• hybridous
    hybridous

I remember being about 11 or 12 years old.

Feeling privileged to go back to the 2nd. School, on a meeting night. Just to get a change of scenery. I felt as though my entire life revolved around that Kingdom Hall (it did!).

I was miserable.

I could not visualize myself in this hamster wheel for my adult life.

I was so miserable, I didn't even care if it was 'The Truth' or not. I would not spend my days doing this crap to make other people happy.

Funny how 'The Truth' consisted of a bunch of bullshit answers to life weightiest questions - that no one was allowed to scrutinize or dispute...that didn't pass the smell test for me, even at 11 years old.

No conversation. No 'give-and-take'. It was all ME giving and this 'religion' taking.

Screw that. I can't help but pity those who actually feel fulfilled by this 'religion'.

Something tells me, the true number of those are substantially less than what's advertised.

• CovertsadJW
    CovertsadJW

Thank you everyone

• dogisgod
    dogisgod

It was just everything. Growing up isolated, bored, no intellectual stimulation. How the cong was an ongoing Peyton Place. No fun, no real music, no happiness....not even contentment...no matter what or how much you did it was never even close to being enough. When my ex was outed it astounded me how the elders circled their wagons around him and asked him "was it something your wife wouldn't do that caused you to turn to men". The end .........bye bye. The Internet is the societies downfall.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit