Is it worth it to sue the Society?

by Pathofthorns 15 Replies latest jw friends

• Pathofthorns
    Pathofthorns

A few weeks back I helped my brother move out of a shared apartment to a rented room in a rooming house. There's no question that the years of having been a JW took their emotional, physical and mental toll on him and now as a former Witness, life is not easy for him.

He understood when i refused to help him move the boxes and boxes of WT literature, the "apostate" cassettes/VHS tapes and other literature. I asked him why he had to keep these things that had hurt him so much and he replied that "it was for the lawsuits".

I wondered in the back of my mind how many others obsessed over suing the WT Society. How many put their lives on hold for some sort of perceived justice for lawsuits that might never come or that might be dismissed for appearing so frivolous? How many gamble their future for a long shot at justice?

There is so much talk of lawsuits and we applaud those that go forward with them but i really can't recall off hand any real victories for all of the talk. There are so many things in the WT's favour that a victory is difficult although not impossible. I wonder how many really understand the challenge in front of them. What will be the financial and emotional toll on them? Will it be worth it in the end, and can one accept the possibilty of defeat and carry on still?

The WT seems to be sending a message by trying to recoup legal costs from those suing them (as in Vicki Boer's case). Ultimately anyone suing the WT needs cold hard cash behind them to pay for a skilled legal team in addition to solid arguments and encouragement and I doubt those funds are available in most cases to be effective.

As much as we all like to see people inconveniencing the WT with lawsuits, and recognizing that effective (and sometimes ineffective) lawsuits do result in change, I would encourage any contemplating such to weigh the personal costs both to themselves and their families to make sure that if they do proceed they are proceeding wisely. Make sure that it is your personal choice to proceed with an acceptance of the risks involved and that you are not influenced by others.

Path

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

I always recommend that people preserve their WT literature... it serves as proof that they DID say the things they deny.

JWs will deny, deny, deny.... they are programmed to forget "old light"... so you need to have the old literature to prove to them that something WAS believed/taught.

• minimus
    minimus

Good post, Path (as usual). Most people have no idea what they're up against taking on the Watchtower. It takes blood, sweat, tears and cash. And the Society knows it. They have their lawyers doing everything pro bono. Of course, someday, someone can get real lucky and win a suit. But I think there has to be real (legal) negligence proven. It's Big Business vs. the little guy. Guess who always wins?

• bluesapphire
    bluesapphire

If I came into some cash, I know I would spend it fighting the Watchtower. All we need is a good strong case and open up the floodgates will be.

• blondie
    blondie

To set a legal precedent and with a strong case, yes, if you recognize the personal cost.

To get revenge, no.

To "change" the WTS, no.

To get back what you lost, no, because you can't get it back that way.

I grew up in an extremely abusive home. Would I like to sue my parents, yes, but I only think about it about once a year now instead of every day.

I know it won't give me back my childhood. But I can make sure the past does not poison my here and now or my future here and nows.

Blondie

• teenyuck
    teenyuck

I am sure you already know my position.

I don't think it is worth it.

To set a legal precedent and with a strong case, yes, if you recognize the personal cost.

This is going to be from a blood case or a molestation case. Not a case of someone who *might* have gone to college/had a *career*/had a *different* life.

I think a family that can sue over the blood doctrine can/should. Most will not. Which makes it unlikely that anything will come of it (meaning the courts ruling against the WT in Civil court).

Molestation could be a much stronger way to chip at the WTS. However, this is only going to help the abuse sufferers. As it should.

The WT seems to be sending a message by trying to recoup legal costs from those suing them (as in Vicki Boer's case). Ultimately anyone suing the WT needs cold hard cash behind them to pay for a skilled legal team in addition to solid arguments and encouragement and I doubt those funds are available in most cases to be effective.

As much as we all like to see people inconveniencing the WT with lawsuits, and recognizing that effective (and sometimes ineffective) lawsuits do result in change, I would encourage any contemplating such to weigh the personal costs both to themselves and their families to make sure that if they do proceed they are proceeding wisely. Make sure that it is your personal choice to proceed with an acceptance of the risks involved and that you are not influenced by others.

Any company, entitiy, person etc. has the right to try to recoup legal costs. The key is having a legal team on your side. As the WT does. The average Joe does not. That is why you don't hear of it happening. However it does. If someone brings a frivolous lawsuit (the judge decides), the judge can tell the plaintiff to pay the costs of the defendant. This is common. This is to discourage frivolous lawsuits.

Going against the WT for the way they treat people is a battle that will not win. As long as they are classified as a religion, at least in the US, the courts must allow them to operate under that umbrella. If they make an exception against the WT for shunning (for example), they must take on the LDS, Catholics etc. It won't happen.

• Mulan
    Mulan

I agree with you, especially Blondie and Teenyuck. Many have tried and failed...........it just isn't worth it, and except for the current pedophile lawsuits, doomed to failure.

This country (and Canada too) has so many rights for religious freedom, and separation of church and state, that it just isn't going to happen.

Nice to see you post, Path.
    Marilyn

• waiting
    waiting

I think it's part of the recovery path, Path.

Of course, some people can get stalled and never get past the steps of anger, wanting to get even, satisfaction.....etc. Like going through a divorce, a death, dying. Recognized steps. If someone gets stalled, sometimes professional help can help.

If he's like most people, the boxes will go a little further inside the closet until he needs more room one day. Then he'll toss them as he doesn't need them anymore. Glad to see y'all being brothers again.

Perhaps wanting to sue the WTBTS is akin to wanting to kill your ex. Many an ex has planned many a way to do that.............but few do it. Most get over it (or learn to cope a little easier) and only think about it occasionally.

I used to tell every sleazy person I met that if they told me a day before my x husband died accidently, I'd split the insurance money with them. That fool is still alive......now I think about his death only when I pay his insurance.

As for the legal technicalities? Agree with what's been posted.

Live & Let Live (except my x)

waiting

• jst2laws
    jst2laws

Hello Path, Good to hear from you again and good point to make. It is difficult to accept that we have been injured yet there is not much we can do about it. Blondie covered the issues very well and Teenyuck identified the few areas where one might even have a hope of prevailing. However, in the area of child molestation, and hopefully in the future the flawed blood policy, I would encourage those injured to at least consult with an attorney rather then walk away in hopelessness. Don't forget the WT made big mistakes in the past and the whole dog gone Governing Body ended up in jail. If you find the right attorney and you have a good case you may not have any out of pocket costs. If the attorney is reluctant to take the risk, you probably will not want that risk either. Move on and make the best of your life. At least you will not have Vickie's anxiety over the possibilities of court costs. There is reason to believe that the Wt society has a lot to sweat legally and I hope all those with a real case against them go for it. The rest of us, myself included, smile and live for the first time. Jst2laws

• mouthy
    mouthy

I know one brother who tried to sue- & he couldnt afford to go on with it- The WT has our bucks to prolong-& prolong the case until you are dry...I have spoken to a couple of Lawyers who say- (in Canada) that old Glen Howe is a smart cookie-He knows how to postpone & postpone -I think if we could ever get a class action going- but it would have to be thousands of us. Old Howe is now training a young JW to follow in his footsteps.At Vickies trail- I watched Howe passing the notes to the lawyer. I asked the young one after>" if he wished it was money the old bugger was passing...".

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit